Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help? :/

uh hi. i'm 15 years old and non-binary as well as bisexual. so you can imagine how it is with my super christian parents. they will take any and every opportunity to belittle me or tell me how i'm going or even as much as to take it to a physical level. i also struggle with OCD, chronic depression and anxiety. i used to be suicidal and i've relapsed a few times. i honestly and truly don't think i can survive in a household with a dynamic like this for three more years. is there a way to legally and safely live somewhere else until i'm 18?
    ps: none of my family is supportive or even believes mental illness is a real issue, so family is a no go.

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for “harboring” if your parents file a report. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.
    If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

You mentioned depression and anxiety. If you’re not currently getting mental health resources, it can be really helpful to get treatment. As your mental health suffers, you have -limited ability to handle the other stressors in your life. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org.

We’re also sorry to hear that you’ve attempted suicide in the past. Your life is very important. If you begin having those thoughts again and want to talk with someone anonymously, please don’t hesitate to reach out for help. One resource that might work for you is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can reach them at 1-800-273-8255. They also have an internet chat function through their website at suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X