I don't know what to do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what to do...

I don't know what to do.. my dad.. used to beat me, and hit me for small things.. spilling milk.. touching a wall.. turning corners to sharply when learning to drive.. ect. I'm 18. it's been 3 years since he hit me, ( I called DFS). so he hasn't done anything since... but the tension and fear is almost to much. it keeps getting bigger as the days go on. I can't live like this, I can't live in fear of him,I hate it the tension is to much.. sometimes i wish he'd hit me again just so the tension will go away if only for a little bit. and I don't know what to do.

Re: I don't know what to do...

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re glad we can be here during this difficult time. We’re so sorry to hear that your dad used to hit you. No one deserves to be treated that way or live in fear that it’s going to happen again. You wrote that he hasn’t hit you in three years, because you called DFS. That was a very brave thing to do. It’s good to read that he hasn’t been beating you since DFS got involved. But from what you mentioned, you’ve been living in fear of him and this has been almost too much for you to cope with. Who else do you live with besides your dad? Do others in your household feel the same way as you do?

Home should be a place where you feel safe and comfortable. Is there anywhere that you do feel like this? You’ve had to deal with a lot for a long time. Are there people in your life that are supportive of you? People that you’re comfortable turning to when you feel upset or need help? It sounds like you’ve been living in a high stress, uncomfortable environment for several years. Now that you’re 18, have you considered moving out? If you were to move out, is there anywhere that you would be able to go?

Can you think of any other solutions that will help you in this situation? We’re really glad that you found our website and shared a little of your story with us. We’re here for you if you ever need anything. You can call our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, anytime 24 hours a day. We’re not here to tell people what to do or judge people’s situations. We’re here to listen to you, support you and empower you to make the best decision for yourself. We’d be happy to look for resources for you if you’re interested. Either counseling or a shelter (if you don’t feel safe at home and want to see what alternative housing is in your area). Whatever it is that you need, we'll do our best to help you out. Just remember you're not alone in all this.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I don't think anyone else in my house feels this way, as I'm an only child, and he's never hit my mom.. I feel safe, when I'm around my 'adopted mom' (I consider her my mother, even though she isn't) she is amazing. She would help me if I needed it. I may beable to go and stay with her.. I'm not sure, and yes, I have considered moving out, but I don't have the money to do so, and my parents pay for my car which is how I get to work. But I want out so badly, it's getting to much for me to handle. I'm so afraid he'll snap for no reason..

Comment

It definitely sounds like a really difficult situation. We’re sorry you have to be dealing with all this. It seems that even though he hasn’t hit you in a while, you don’t trust that he’s not going to hit you. That constant fear is likely a heavy burden to carry.

It’s great to hear that you do have an adult that is supportive in your life. You mentioned you might be able to stay with your “adopted mom”. Do you think if she was okay with this, that this would be a feasible solution; if you could stay with her until you were able to live independently? It sounds like you feel that while you want to leave, you wouldn’t be able to make it on your own.

Have you ever considered going to a transitional living program? These are long-term programs that help young adults get on their feet. Sometimes they have one main location where every one stays. Other times the programs are apartments that people live in. All have support services like case managers, counselors, job training, etc. Each program has different guidelines and requirements in order to stay with them. Sometimes they have waiting lists as well. Do you think if your area had such a program that you’d consider staying at one? The main goal of TLPs is to help youth (usually 18-21) transition to become independent adults. We’d be happy to look in your area to see if there are any TLPs. Or you can go to http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/fysb/co ... locate.htm to see if there are any TLPs listed near you (this is the middle check mark under runaway and homeless youth program).

If you were ever able to call us, we would be able to help you call around to different organization to see what services they offer, intake process, etc. If and when you do call us, just remember we’re here to do our best to help you find options that work for you. We’re here 24/7. If there’s anything specific you’d like our help with and you can’t call, feel free to post via the bulletins again.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Gosh girl.. .seems like you have alot on your mind and alot gonig on in yuor life.. i am sorry that you are going thorugh this.. but honestly you are going to get through it. it may not be today or tomorrow but someday and somehow you are going t obe happy and think that life is worth living.. and i kno that your probally saying to yourself yea whatever this girl dont even kno the half of tit but truthfully i kno where you are coming from. God puts these obsticles in our path to a good life because what would life be without problems?? and how would we ever learn.. ???

Comment

Thank you for reaching out and showing support through our bulletin boards. It's always important for people to know that there are others who sympathize or empathize with us during our times of need.

If you ever need to talk about anything that you have going on, remember we at the National Runaway Switchboard are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at
            1-800-RUNAWAY.

Thank you!

~NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X