No announcement yet.

I just want to help.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I just want to help.

    My friend is a 16 year old who is in a household that is mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically abusing her. (Most of this comes from her dad) She very strongly wants to leave her household as soon as possible. There are ups and downs sometimes it's not that bad. However there have been several occasions where she breaks down is bawling her eyes out over the phone telling me how they treat her. She isn't treated like a human being. I'm afraid that she's getting to the point where she won't make it to 18 years. I'm not a hundred percent positive that my parents would take her into our household under the circumstances I think they would be more than willing to. I know the legal age to leave is 18 years old. I also know that the three ways to leave before the age of 18 is emancipation, marriage, or guardian transfer. I'm here mainly because I just wanted to say this get off my chest and to feel better but also I really just want to help my friend. I'm not sure there's much you can say to help me but anything is better than nothing thanks for reading what I have to say.

  • #2
    Re: I just want to help.

    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like your friend is going through a hard time right now. It is great to see that you are looking out for your friend and it sounds like you really care for her. It also seems that you have done some research already and trying to make use of all your options. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you contacted us.
    Your friend doesn’t deserve to be treated like that. If filing is an abuse report is an option for her she could call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they would be able to provide them information about the steps involved in filing an abuse report and how the process generally works. You could also call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can help you file an abuse report. If home is not a safe place for them they could browse to look for a safe place in their neighborhood. If they ever feel their life is in danger they could call 911. If your friend is to run away from home the police can bring them back home and whoever they are staying with could keep charged with harboring a minor and in many cases that could be a like a misdemeanor charge. Apart from legal consequences running away can be hard in many situations. They might want to think about how they might pay for food, rent and other living expenses.
    We understand that this a tough situation for both you and your friend. We are here to support you and your friend through this. You could call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline or live chat with us from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST and we can just listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif