Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a 17 year old and Live in Wisconsin. I want to run away from home.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a 17 year old and Live in Wisconsin. I want to run away from home.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could please help me get some answers. I called the hotline a few times and I used the live chat last night to talk to someone and was supposed to follow up today, but the chat wasn't working. I called today, and the person I talked to had me talk to the local non-emergency number which made me freak out really bad and I had to hang up. The lady who I was supposed to be asking questions was pushing me to give her my information about where I lived and what my name was and stuff, and I kept saying that I just wanted my questions to be answered. After being pushed to give my information away and the lady telling me she couldn't answer my questions unless I gave her my info I had to hang up. I really just want to know if the police will actively look for me when I do leave. I will be 17 1/2 when I leave, and I will be staying somewhere safe. If the police do find me and I explain to them that I do not want to go home and I feel safer at the place I am staying and I am much better cared for, would they just leave me be?

re: I am a 17 year old and Live in Wisconsin. I want to run away from home.

Hello,

Thank you again for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you tried to get someone to answer your questions before and the police were being invasive and asking too many questions about you identifying yourself. It is understandable that you felt uncomfortable at that time. Unfortunately we are not legal experts so we don't know for sure what will happen if the police come in contact with you. They do have their own polices on how they handle situations, which we don't know off hand what they are. There is a possibility that they will go look for you, and may not just leave you alone. Often times, this is because whomever your legal guardians are, they are legally responsible for you as a minor. So the police have to abide by their wishes of having you home. We would recommend maybe chatting or calling us here at NRS at another time and maybe someone else can try to advocate on your behalf and ask those questions for you. It may be helpful to let one of our staff members know the previous situation with the last time you called, and they should be able to help. The best time would be to reach out during business hours so that the police would be available for us to reach out to. Hopefully someone else can try to assist again!

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X