No announcement yet.

Am I concidered a runaway?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I concidered a runaway?

    Me and my twin sister are 15 yrs old and we're having some trouble at home and it always happens once a year. Some were physical fights with our parents against us and cops were called cps has been involved but every cop has told us no matter what our parents are allowed to put there hands on us as dicipline. But how is that fair when my sister has a huge bruise on her arm because my dad grabbed her. They've said were grounded took my sisters bed and door away from her and took our house key away also. They haven't told us to come home right after school but they don't come and get us and they make us walk everywhere. Were just confused. Can my mom call the police and said we ran away?? What would happen? My sister is in trouble with the law and is kinda on probation but we don't know forsure. What would happen to her

  • #2
    Re: Am I concidered a runaway?

    Hello and thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You are strong and brave to reach out for support, and we’re very glad you did. It sounds like you have a couple of questions regarding your situation and we hope to help you as best as we can.

    You mentioned some abuse from a family member and we are concerned about your and your sister's safety. It must be a frightening thing to experience physical fights with your father. You and your sister do not deserve to be abused or hurt in any way. Please know that if you ever feel you are in an unsafe place or in danger, you have the right to call 911 for your safety and well-being. Understandably, you received some information from police that sounded quite frustrating with regards to abuse vs discipline, however staying safe is important. You also have the option to contact Child Protective Services at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) to file an abuse report. You can talk to someone about what's going on and receive some support and guidance to ensure your safety.

    Each state varies with laws, and it is often best to contact your local (non-emergency) police department to ask various questions regarding leaving home. You can call anonymously (or we can try conference calling together) and ask various questions or concerns you may have. With your sister being on probation, it may help if she contacts her probation officer to share what's going on and explore some options that won't get her in any legal trouble for violating probation orders. Seeking help from a school counselor or another trusted adult such as a neighbor or another family member may also be helpful especially if someone else has witnessed any physical abuse. If you ever needed help with making a report or contacting an agency, we are here to help you with that process. We can also offer you and your sister some helpful resources if you are unsure of who to contact.

    Please be safe and take care. We hope you reach out soon.


    Last edited by ccsmod6; 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp