No announcement yet.

i want to live with my grandparents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i want to live with my grandparents

    So recently, my mother decided to move during the middle of the year. She moved a little farther, meaning I wouldn’t go to the same school. Luckily, my grandparents agreed to take me to school every morning in order for me to be happy and finish the year there. I am forever grateful. But now the school year ended, and it’s time to go back to my mom. So here I am, at her house ( with her boyfriend and younger sister ) and I feel more sad here. The place isn’t as nice looking and I feel dirty just walking anywhere here, no matter how much my mother tries to keep the house clean. Her boyfriend is the problem. He’s very problematic, rude and ignorant. He always thinks he’s right. Beyond words on how sad it is for my mom to be with him. Anyway, I feel a lot less safe here and I have sad thoughts of suicide. I feel less safe because he has a very bad temper and sometimes he threatens us and just throws a tantrum. He isn’t a fun person to be around with either, he’s always complaining. Today he got mad because my younger sister broke something that can be replaced ( a round table ) and was more worried about the table than her. I am really trying to make it through 2 months being here, but I don’t think I’ll live through this summer. It’s basically a nightmare and my grandparents are currently on vacation but will come back right away if needed. I would live with my grandparents for about 4 years or more if I choose that. My grandparents show me more love and appreciation in my opinion. My mom can be understanding sometimes but she usually isn’t as serious. I just want to live with my grandparents because I feel safe.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp