No announcement yet.

live with mom dad wont let me

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • live with mom dad wont let me

    I am 13 and live with my dad my parents divorced when I was 4 in court I said I wanted to live with my mom at the time it was just because I was 4 and liked her more just like any little kid but I was forced to live with my dad they have 50/50 custody with my dad being the primary guardian I have recently realized that my dad is tyrannical, he yells at me when we have talks about something I did in school actually its all him talkin and me only telling I'm as much as I can before he cuts me off he is sometimes violent and smacks me on time he took absolutely everything I own except my bed and clothes and burnt broke or destroyed them including a phone laptop and bike I spent 1 1/2 years saving up for my step mom is also violent and yells and hits me for doing little things. he also whenever he talks to my mom yells cusses and when its in person hurts her he calls her a terrible parent. he one time yelled her for having a small amount of marijuana in the car even though she is fully licensed for owning smoking and growing it and he smokes more pot than her even though he has no license.

  • #2
    Re: live with mom dad wont let me


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. We are so sorry to hear that you are being mistreated at home, that is something no one should have to go through. It sounds like you get along with your mom and you feel most comfortable with her. It is understandable that is where you would want to be, no one deserves to be mistreated in any way.

    You had mentioned that your parents have 50/50 custody over you but your dad has primary guardian. Here at NRS we are not legal experts so we cannot speak specifically to this situation. We can speak in general terms. It sounds like you have been thinking what is best for you. Generally, you are considered an adult at the age of 18. If you were to leave before then, your parents have the option of filing a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot be arrested for leaving home, if you are found then you are brought back. However, for the person you are staying with or for someone that tries to help you leave, they could be charged with harboring a runaway and that is a criminal offense. The severity of that offense varies from state to state. Because both your parents have custody over you we are unsure who would be able to file the runaway report. One option you have is to contact your local police department and ask them in general terms what could happen. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that you can have a trusted adult do it for you or you can call our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can make the phone call for you.

    Another thing to consider is, as previously mentioned, you have no right to be mistreated. One option you have is to contact Child Help USA at 1800-422-4453 and file an abuse report. This is something you can do on your own, or you can call us and we can make the report with you or for you. It is whatever you feel comfortable with.

    We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail please give us a call on our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us on our website. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove