Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not exactly family issues. Didn't know where else to put it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not exactly family issues. Didn't know where else to put it.

So, I'm in the UK. I go to boarding school. I want to run away. I feel like I've dug a hole for myself through
    everything I've done. I don't have particularly low self esteem (or perhaps, I do. Maybe I'm in denial, who knows)
    but I don't feel like I belong here. I don't want to tell my parents - I'm not the kind of person who shares
    stuff like this with people. I just want to run, and be done with it. I'm sick of this.

I don't have many friends, but that doesn't bother me. I'm just fine on my own - I'm fairly antisocial. I feel
    disconnected from everybody here, even my roommate, and the only thing I feel is a kind of pull from the horizon. I
    just want to go, because there's not much anchoring me here. A while ago, someone spread a rumor about me being a witch, and obviously boarding people didn't take it too well. I feel like they look down on me because they don't know me all that well.

So, there you have it. I want to go so, so badly. I've packed my bags before, but I told myself to wait it out. I
    want to go more than ever now.

What's it like to be a 15-year old runaway?

Re: It's not exactly family issues. Didn't know where else to put it.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like things at your school are really frustrating right now and like you’re feeling pretty disconnected from your classmates. It can be really tough to be far from home and dealing with this stuff on your own.

As you’ve been thinking about ways to change the situation, has there been anyone that you’ve felt comfortable discussing it with? If not your parents, maybe your roommate or a school counselor? It can be really hard to confide in someone about how you’re feeling, but sometimes just putting it out there to someone else really helps.

In terms of running away, the experience can be different for different people. Some good things to consider before you make plans are where you’d like to go when you run away, how much money you’ll need for transportation and food, and how you think your family may react to you leaving. We aren’t legal experts here, and don’t operate in the UK, but we do know that some parents’ reactions to their son or daughter running away is to file a missing persons or runaway report with police. There are likely similar reports where you are. This may mean that police and other agencies would be looking for you to make sure you are safe and to potentially try and return you to your parents. There isn’t a guarantee that this would happen, but it is just a possibility to keep in mind.

If you want to talk more about what’s going on, we’re here to listen and help however we can. Feel free to reach out to us via our private, confidential chat service through our website at http://1800runaway.org/.

Best of luck to you,
    National Runaway Safeline (NRS)
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X