Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leave home at 17?

I'm 17 years old. I turn 18 in September but I'm ready to leave now. Can't stand to be in the house I'm in. Single parent' my mother. She recently started a prescription of apidex, a weight loss supplement. But the side effects include a higher irritability rate & aggressiveness. Ever since she's been on it she's been very easy to agitate & very aggressive verbally in everything I do. I have a family member, a distant cousin, who is willing to take me in if I leave, also I have a girlfriend who is one month pregnant, I'm looking for a job at the moment so I will be able to support her & myself. I'm a junior in high school & I have my senior year which will start in August of this year. I don't plan on dropping out of school, I just want to leave my current residency under my mothers gaurdisnship. Is this possible?

RE: Leave home at 17?

Thank you for reaching out to us. It seems like you have a lot going on right now. We are sorry for what you are going through; no one deserves to be treated like this.
    You mentioned your girlfriend is one month pregnant. Does your mother know or have you mentioned this to anyone in the family yet? It sounds like you’re looking for ways to support your girlfriend and yourself and we want to applaud you for thinking ahead and taking on responsibility. It is very brave of you. You sound like a smart guy and it’s great that you want to stay in school despite everything else that is going on right now.
    You mentioned that you distant cousin is very supportive and willing to take you in, and we are glad to hear that you have some support during this difficult time. Are you planning on discussing this option with your parent? We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 1, you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to/being 18 some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information.
    If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.
    Remember we are here for you and we would love to speak with you to better help you. We are a 24 hour hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY ) and we also have an online chat option if this is something you feel comfortable with, please reach out to us so we can better assist you,

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X