Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I being abused physically or emotionally?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    replied
    Thank you reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our forum.
    It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and had a scary encounter with your mother recently. It is very brave of you to reach out and it makes sense that you would feel frustrated and hurt. We want to emphasize that whether or not you talk back, you don’t deserve to be hit or verbally abused.
    To answer your question about whether you are being physically or mentally abused, physical abuse is defined as any non-accidental physical injury to a child by a parent or guardian. With regards to emotional abuse, it can be defined as harm to a youth’s mental and social development, typically through a pattern of behavior over time.
    Know you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and someone will be available 24/7 to talk through anything that is on your mind. A liner can help identify how we might help you with your situation.
    Sometimes exploring options might help to discovering new ideas towards a resolution.
    If you are at risk of feeling unsafe we encourage you to dial 9-1-1 immediately.
    You also have the right to file a child abuse report with your school or Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453
    Also, we want to ask you- What are some things about yourself that you feel good about? You told us a lot about how you make mistakes, but we bet that you have a lot to feel proud of.
    We wish you the best of luck.
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Am I being abused physically or emotionally?

Am I being abused physically or emotionally?

I am a 15 year old girl, and I'm turning 16 in two weeks. Me and my family haven't had a very good relationship for years now. I make mistakes, I do things I shouldn't, I say things I shouldn't, I'm not the smartest, but I try. Our current problem is that I can be disrespectful. I do have times where I am disrespectful, but they also have times where they say I'm being disrespectful because they don't like what I said. So today, I got up, it was a normal day. I went into the laundry room to get my clothes for the day and nothing was there. I went to my mom and asked if she had did laundry the night before. She said the washing machine broke. I asked her if I could borrow a pair of pants since I didn't have any clean pairs. It took a couple of minutes but I waited. I went to finish getting dressed and she pointed out it was 6:45. We usually try to leave at 6:45. I have to be on a bus to school by 7:00, and the school I get on the bus at is 5 minutes from my house. So I finished getting dressed and we were in the car by 6:52. I understood we were running a little bit late but my mom was starting to get angry. A couple of weeks ago they had mentioned how annoying and troublesome it was waking me up and not leaving on time. I've missed the bus a total of 4 or 5 times the entire school year, today not being one of them. They had said if I couldn't wake myself up then I'd be put in PM classes, but I'm situated in the AM classes and don't know anyone in the PM classes. She was starting to yell the rest of the way there. I tried telling her that things happen and there's gonna be setbacks and she puts the blame on me. She got tired of me talking and told me she would hit me if I said anything else. I said "That's assuring" and she started screaming and swearing and punching my arm as hard as she could in between words. Saying things like "******** you" which she hit me and said earlier in the week in a similar situation. And then she pulled up and told me to get the ******** out. We didn't even come close to missing the bus.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X