No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and graduating

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 and graduating

    I'm seventeen and in Nevada, I will be graduating before my eighteenth birthday and want to leave my parents house. My Mom is strictly against it. My question is whether or not they can call the cops and have me legally returned to their household after my graduation.

  • #2
    RE: I'm 17 and Graduating

    Hello There!

    Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to getting the help and information that you may need. It sounds like you are in a rather stressful situation.

    We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. Having graduated from school usually is not something that could replace this permission. Mainly., this is due to many states not requiring youth to graduate high school and have legal drop out ages. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to/being 18 some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.

    The other legal way of leaving home would require going to court and parent or guardian giving up legal rights of you or supporting this decision. This is called the emancipation process. typically takes a long period of time and money. This would mean that in court you would have to prove that you can be completely independent. Usually youth become of legal age prior to ever having an outcome from their emancipation case. If you are interested in this option, letting us know the city and state you are in would allow us to refer you to some legal aid resources that can help begin this process.

    We hope this was helpful.
    Stay Strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif