No announcement yet.

Can I just leave?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I just leave?

    Living with my mother is pretty much hell on earth. My siblings are spoiled and I haven't gotten new clothes since August 2014. She threatens to put me through a wall, screams at me for doing what she giggles at when my siblings do it. I can't stand this woman, my fathers 200$ a month of child support goes to buying alcohol and cigarettes for her and her boyfriend. My dad picks us up Monday, occasionally Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I want to pack up all of my things tonight go to school, and when he gets here, grab my bags and leave. Never go back to my mothers. I'm nervous though because the divorce isn't finalized so she might try to take me back for the money. I don't want to stay here, and it's caused me to face depression and she won't take me to a doctor or a psychologist or anything.

  • #2
    Re: Can I just leave?

    Hi there,

    If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have really been going through a difficult time at home with your parents being split up and your mother not using the child support towards your needs. This has to be extremely frustrating. We’re really glad that you shared your situation with us, it takes a lot to reach out.

    It sounds like you are upset with your situation at home with your mom and her boyfriend. It sounds like things have not been too fair between your family members and you are planning to leave to live with your dad instead. It sounds like you are wondering what would happen if you left home to live with your dad instead of your mom. We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if you leave before the age of 18 (legal adult in most states) then they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made and the police find you, they typically would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. You shared that you don’t know if your mom would be able to take you back since the custody agreement is not in place and the divorce is not final. It sounds like this could potentially be handled as a “civil matter” by the police if that is the case. One option you have is to call your local law enforcement and ask hypothetically what could happen in this situation. We offer conference calling at NRS if you would like assistance making that call, just contact us at (800) RUNAWAY (786 2929).

    We’re here to support you and help you through this difficult time the best that we can. Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us to talk further.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif