No announcement yet.

My parents don't listen. I want to leave.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My parents don't listen. I want to leave.

    I recently started living with my mom full time. I have lots of problems with her though. She is usually playing video games with her boyfriend or hiding in her room. When ever I try to talk to her she either doesn't hear me or she says we will talk later, but we never do. I've tried to talk to her and fix things but she doesn't listen. I can't go back to my dads house either, his house is just as bad, if not worse. I've been trying to find a place to go when I run away but I've been unsuccessful. I don't think I legally have a choice on where I can live so running away is my only option. I am 14 and I live in Alberta, Canada. I'm not even sure if that information is useful.

    Thank you

  • #2
    Reply: I recently started living with my mom full time.

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We are sorry that things are not going well between you and your mom. Things don’t seem to be much better with dad. It sounds like it’s been pretty frustrating for you.
    Sometimes when communication is hard to come by counseling becomes a consideration towards working things out.

    Since you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/

    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

    You are welcome to chat with NRS at to discuss your situation and maybe try to figure out some options.
    We are here to help and her to listen.

    We look forward to hearing from you.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      My step father treats me like crap and I have cut and suicided a couple times I want to move out if I don't I will kill my self I have a kid so I can feed my self but I need a place to live


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        We cannot imagine what you must be going through, but we are glad you have reached out to us and would be happy to explore some of your options. First and foremost, we want to make sure that you are safe and feel supported, we encourage you to contact us via our toll free 24/7 line (1-800-RUNAWAY) or chat with us online for more immediate support and problem solving. We can offer emergency shelters for you and your child in your area and discuss more details regarding your situation. If you find yourself considering suicide, please do not hesitate to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, whenever you need someone to talk to.

        From your post, it sounds like your parents are not respecting you and are making it difficult to be around. If you choose to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Depending on your age and the state you reside in, the police may fully investigate the report. If you are found, they are obligated to return you home. That being said, you may make a case against returning home, by indicating the impact your parents have on your mental health. Any evidence you may have of behavior will help strengthen your case if you choose to take that action.

        While not a prerequisite, having a child you may help you be eligible for emancipation proceedings to legally separate yourself from your parents. However, this process could take months to year, and may require acknowledgment, if not consent from your parents. There are also other conditions, including being able to support yourself and having a plan, if not tangible residence. Most cities in the United States have transitional living programs, which could help you find a place and become self-sufficient.

        You may also consider reaching out to any family or friends who may be willing to give you a place to stay even if it be for only a couple of days, as you decide what option is best for you and your child.

        To explore more options, we encourage you to reach out to us via phone (1-800-786-2929) or chat.

        We are here to listen, here to help.

        Best of luck!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove