No announcement yet.

Should I call CPS?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I call CPS?

    I think it's time I come clean about this because I am very tired of it. My mother is abusive. She smokes weed. She has told me to kill myself, she has called me worthless and useless, told me I'm not enough. She's also told me she wishes she aborted me when she had the chance and calls me ungrateful when I'm the one who cleans the house and watches the child. A few weeks ago while we were having our bathroom worked on, she punched my younger brother in the face and made him bleed, then took his phone so he could not call anybody for help. She threatened to do it again in my presence. She once threatened to do really bad stuff to us, with a knife. Last week when we came home from our grandma's, she started yelling at us and threatened to kick me out..all because I took my iPhone to record a band at Winter Jam. She does not care for our medical needs and she buys lots of things for herself but nothing for us when we do need it...she's thousands of dollars in credit card debt. She's taken my phone away for good because I was home two minutes late from school. She also takes her boyfriend's money and he's going broke because of it. She does have BiPolar disorder but that's no excuse for telling your own child to kill them self. She refuses to take her antipsychotics and she drinks alcohol and smokes both weed and cigarettes. When she figured out we might call CPS, she told us she would make things way worse for us and we would be two unwanted teenagers in the foster care system because she would make sure nobody in our family got us...I don't know what to do. I can't be here anymore and all of this is affecting my grades in a negative way. Her emotional abuse has made me extremely depressed and I've gained anxiety. I went to therapy for a year and a half and now because she is getting worse she is threatening to put me in a mental hospital.

    What should I do? Should I call CPS?

  • #2
    Re: Should I call CPS?

    Hey there –
    Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your story. It takes an extremely brave person to share like you have and we want to commend you for doing so. We see that your mother is very emotionally and physically abusive toward you and your brother and that it has caused you an incredible amount of distress. We are so sorry to hear that you are going through this – no one deserves to be treated like this within their own home. Hopefully we can be of some assistance in letting you know what options you have.

    We want to let you know that here at the NRS we do not tell youth what they should or should do. Rather, we help make them aware of their options and support them in deciding what is best for them. Regarding calling CPS, that would be one route to take if you want to get you and your brother in an immediately safer situation. However, we see that your mother threatened to make things worse for you if you did. That is probably very upsetting for you, but you do deserve to be in a situation in which you are cared for and treated with respect. If you did decide to do this, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can support you every step of the way. We could even conference call CPS with you and support you while you make the report. For more information on what this process would look like, ChildHelp is a great organization to reach out to. They can give you more information on this process as well as make you aware of your options and resources you can use for help, whether you want to report the abuse or not. Their line is 100% confidential and anonymous and can be reached at 1-800-422-4453 or online at

    Next, you mentioned that your mother is involved with drugs and alcohol and it has taken a toll on you physically and mentally. Alcohol, substance or drug addiction are incredibly confusing, overwhelming and extremely painful times for both the person addicted and their loved ones. The Alcohol & Drug Helpline may be able to be of some assistance here, since they can get you connected to things like recovery and treatment programs, counseling, support, education, and referrals. For more information on what they do or to use their services, you can call them at 1-206-722-3700. Families Anonymous can also help with this as they are an organization that offers a 12 Step fellowship for the families and friends who have known a feeling of desperation concerning the destructive behavior of someone very near to them, whether caused by drugs, alcohol, or related behavioral problems. You can reach them at 1-800-736-9805 or online at

    We’d like to encourage you to give us a call here at the Safeline. We’d love to be able to learn more about your situation so we can help you get connected to supportive services. Whether you needs more information or referrals or just need someone to talk to, our liners are here 24/7 to listen and help you. We want to wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.
    Stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif