No announcement yet.

how do I run away to another country?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how do I run away to another country?

    I’m 14 and I want to run away, presumably to another country so I won’t be found. I’ve been thinking about this for awhile but whenever I discuss it with someone, they say I’m overreacting. I absolutely hate my mother, she treats me differently from my brothers and says she “cares” even though her actions show otherwise.

    Last night was my breaking point when her boyfriend called me a b*tch and she turned the blame onto me for not “respecting” them. Then the next morning she acts like nothing happened, this is an ongoing cycle. She was also physically abusive when I was younger but at that time I thought it was normal for parents to slap and hit their children. She always tries to invalidate how I feel as being “disrespectful” or “having an attitude”. She gets mad if I don’t talk to her but if I say what’s on my mind, it makes her angrier. I’m absolutely done with this treatment.

    Ive looked into calling CPS, emancipation, etc. But none of those seem to fit my situation. I’m not old enough to get a job, or drive. So my options are very limited. I have my mom’s boyfriend’s credit card information so I can get a lyft to the airport & a cheap plane ticket. If my plan goes well I can escape to another country (state seems too risky) & live my life there. I was thinking Japan as it’s far away, really beautiful, and my basic Japanese will help a lot.

    I want to do it so badly but I’m just so scared. I know I’ll miss my friends, my cat, and the handful of supporting family I have. (I can’t stay with them) But I am so sick and tired of living this way and I want to get away.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp