No announcement yet.

If I'm eighteen can I move into another adults house who isn't part of my family?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I'm eighteen can I move into another adults house who isn't part of my family?

    So when I'm eighteen I'm planning on moving in with my boyfriend and his dad. If I do I don't want my mom or dad to press charges against my boyfriend or his
    family because it's just not worth it. There's nothing wrong in my household. I'm just tired of living with their rules and under their roof. All i want is to get away from them. They would try with everything to stop me if they knew I was planning on doing this. I really just need to know the laws and need advice.
    My plan was to slowly move the stuff I absolutely need like clothes, money, stuff I might need for school, etc, over to his dads house over the period of a month or two. Then the day after my eighteenth birthday I was going to call my mom from school and tell her that I'm moving out of her house. So I would already have all the things I need over at his dads house and wouldn't have to pick up anything from home.

  • #2
    Re: If I'm eighteen can I move into another adults house who isn't part of my family?


    Thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like you have been giving it some thought for a long time now and you seem to have come up with a very detailed plan.

    Depending what state you live in, you might still be considered a minor at 18 if you live in the state of Nebraska, Mississippi, or Alabama. You may want to visit to find out about your particular state. Unfortunately we’re not legal experts here so I cannot tell you for certain. One scenario is that if you are still underage your parents can file a report and if your parents share your locations with the officers the police officer could potentially go look for you and bring you home. They could also charge your boyfriend and his father with harboring a runaway. The alternative scenario is that your parents file a runaway report and the officers do not look for you and if you are overage then it is possible that there is little that they can do. It is safe to say that in the majority of states once you turn 18, the police will most likely not take a runaway report but because of the many alternatives we suggest that you call your local police district and ask them anonymously what the laws are in your area and how they would go about it.

    If you wanted to call into our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we’d be happy to explore this issue further or even reach out to the police on your behalf to clarify your question. We also have a Live Chat on our website as well. Again thank you for reaching out to us.

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp