No announcement yet.

should I go

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • should I go

    i am 15 and i am at hope with my parents, they treat me "well" but only care about themselves. They got me tested for ADHD because they believed that there was something wrong with me and through out these tests i got diagnosed with clinical levels of depression, they believe this is false and i don't feel safe/comfortable talking to them about how i feel. they believe i am constantly lying to them and cant be sincere and i feel it would be easier if i ran away. i have friends who are willing to help me out while i am gone, i just worry that if i run away the results of me getting caught are going to be extreme. i do feel comfortable checking off all the boxes of the "self reliable" clause that would let me to live on my own, but i currently don't have a job. this may not be a problem with there being many fast food chains that will hire me, i also have an IQ of 141 and could use that to my advantage. but that isn't my main concern i believe that my brother will testify against me in court, this would be because they treat him much more favorably than me, such as not really carrying out punishments unless it was just me or partially me. this is evident in when he stole someone's credit card and used upwards of $400 and they didn't punish him but when i lie to them about where im riding my bike they take my phone away for the rest of the school year. i am looking for council on this issue please help me in any way you can.

  • #2
    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp