Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My grandma doesn’t want me living with her anymore

About a year ago, I was placed with my grandma and soon after she was given legal custody of me. Before then, I had spent fourteen years of my life with my extremely abusive mom, and was put into foster care. A

In September of 2018, I decided to go live with my former foster parents because of how bad the situation at home was getting with my grandma (emotional abuse, which I had no way of proving along with some physical) and she allowed me to live with them. About a month and a half ago, those same foster parents decided they didn’t want to care for me anymore and sent me back to my grandma’s.

A couple of weeks before I moved back in, my mom sued my grandma and my former foster parents due to a court order and something that it says that she believed they weren’t following.

The thing is, my grandma only took me in because she didn’t want me on the streets, back in foster care, or living with my mom again. But now she wants me out, mainly due to the reason that she has to pay around $5000 to a lawyer to represent her in the case I mentioned before.

She plans to kick me out and when she does, it will land me on the streets. What should I do to avoid that?

Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. You've been through so much already and you're so resilient and strong. We want you to know that if your legal guardian fails to provide you with basic necessities (such as shelter) it can be considered abuse. You also mentioned some abuse from both your mother and your grandmother and this raises some concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X