Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and want to leave

I'm a 15 year old girl and I'm thinking about running away. My parents are emotionally abusive and control everything I do (ie: what I wear, what I eat, etc) I can't take it anymore. I live in Arkansas and I want to go to my aunts but I dont want her to get in trouble. I'm not shure what to do.

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your parents. We are here to try and help as much as we can.

We are by no means legal experts, but we do know that if you left home without permission, your parents could file a runaway report. If you encountered law enforcement, they would have to return you home.
    It sounds like you trust your Aunt- it might be a good idea to talk with her first and see if she might be able to help convince your parents to allow you to stay. Having a strong support system when dealing with controlling behavior is always helpful. Friends, teachers, family are all great resources to turn to when you are feeling overwhelmed.
    Every person’s story is different, but we are here to listen and help explore options. You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My aunt offered to let me stay with her but my parents are strongly against it. Recently I told my Mom how I feel about her and she took away everything and banned me from seeing my aunt. Now I have no contact with her anymore. My friends are trying their best to help but I don't want them to worry about this.

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10
        Super Moderator
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like your aunt means a lot to you and not being able to see her has caused some tension between you and your mom. It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. Glad yo hear that you some support from your friends, even if you don't want to get them involved. One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom the relationship you have with your aunt and why it’s so important to you. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.
        Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. Your aunt could potentially get in trouble for harboring a minor if your mom files a report.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

-NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X