Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My step dad mentality abuses me

I want to run away because of the abuse that’s been happening to me recently. He was never like this until around now. He has started taking things the tiny voice in my head keeps calling me and has started calling me them when my mom or brother aren’t listening. If I told my mom she would say that I was making up stories and my brother cares more about his video games then anything. So I have no where to turn and i’ve Decided that I might run away. I feel like if I did that I wouldn’t have to worry about the things i’m Being called by a person I used to trust. He’s called me things like worthless, pathetic, a crybaby....and the list goes on and on and on. I can’t take it anymore. It doesn’t help that I have been diagnosed with depression, high functioning anxiety and bipolar disorder. These are all making it so much worse then it already is for me everyday....

any advice....?

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your message. It must be very hurtful having a person you trusted call you those cruel things. That must be especially difficult on top of depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder; those are difficult enough to deal with just on their own. Please understand that you are NOT worthless or pathetic, or anything else your stepdad says. You don’t deserve to be called those things. You deserve to live in a home where you feel loved and supported. It sounds like you must be a strong and resilient person to be going through this and still looking for options! You write that your mom would not believe you if you told her. That must be frustrating. One option could be to talk with another adult that you trust about how your stepdad has been treating you. Perhaps that adult could be someone to turn to and even someone to advocate for you to your mom. That could be any adult you trust, like a relative, teacher, guidance counselor, or family friend. Another option might be to write down what your stepfather says and when he says it to show to your mom; perhaps you might consider even taking a short video or recording if that feels safe. Another option to consider is our conflict mediation service; if you give us a call, we are able to do a three-way call with you and one of your legal guardians. Our goal in that is to help you both have a productive and respectful conversation.
    You mention running away. We aren’t sure of your age, but generally speaking you would need to be 18 to leave home without consent. If you leave without permission, your family would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you they may return you home. That being said, we understand if leaving feels like your only option. Your safety is our #1 priority. Before leaving, you might want to think about the following: where you’ll go, who you’ll stay with, where you’ll get food, how you’ll stay safe if you find yourself in a dangerous situation, and a backup plan.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We’ve listed some resources below that you might find useful. Please feel free to call us, as well, at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 to listen and to help in any way we can, whether you need resources or just someone to talk to. You are not alone!
    Stay strong,
    NRS

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950- NAMI (6264)
    Last edited by ccsmod5; 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X