Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will be 18 in November and I want to move out as soon as possible.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be 18 in November and I want to move out as soon as possible.

Hello,

I am 17 right now, and I will be 18 in early November. I want to move out of my mother's house ASAP, but I know that I will not have the money to do so by then. I know how to drive, and I'll be able to get my license by then. I have a wonderful boyfriend who's already an adult, but also still lives with his parents, and lives a state away from me.

I want to leave because I do a LOT around the house to help her take care of my two younger siblings, but get no kind of credit for doing so, she takes everything I do for granted. Not only that, but anytime I "mess up" in the slightest, she bites my head off. She calls me "dumbass", "stupid", etc, and she'll take away things like my Xbox (which is the main way I communicate with my boyfriend and other friend) and my phone (the only other way I have to talk to him). She seems to care about my two siblings more than she does me. I'm sick of working my butt off for everyone in this house and still being treated like this.

She's also told me multiple times that she doesn't like my boyfriend, despite the fact that she's never even talked to him. My boyfriend is the best thing to ever happen to me. He would do anything for me, and I would do anything for him. By the time I'm 18, we will have been together for almost a year. I want to get my own place, so I can get away from my ungrateful family, and so my boyfriend and I can be a step closer to living together.

Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time at home. It seems like caring for your siblings and feeling you are not even being appreciated for it is taking quite a toll on you. This must all be very hard on you and we would like to be of support to you. It doesn’t seem fair that your mother says she does not like your boyfriend and she has never met him. Do you think that she does not want to meet him? It may be beneficial to explore the possibility of having them meet. This can give you the opportunity of visiting your boyfriend’s state or your boyfriend visiting yours if the families agree to meet. You two have been together for almost a year and it seems like you do plan to have a future with him. It may be a beneficial for both his and your parents to understand you two feel that way and would like to be able to speak with and see each other more. It could be hard to speak with someone you feel you have ongoing conflict with but, it may be beneficial to start with having a conversation with your mother about how you are feeling and your desire to be more independent with your boyfriend while having her support. It is understandable if your mother may feel she needs your help around the house however, you do have the right to live your life how you feel you would like to. Just so that you are aware, we do have a message and conference call option here at NRS. There is the option for you to give us a call and leave a message for your mother requesting you, while we are on the line, speak to her about these concerns you are having. We can relay that message to her by giving her a call and help you speak with her about all of this on a 3 way call. This may be a beneficial way to help you better communicate with your mother and hopefully find some ways for you both to feel you have what you want. If this is something you would like to further explore or if you would like to talk further, please feel free to give us a call on our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X