No announcement yet.

I need to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to leave

    I'm 17 I turn 18 in 76 days. I live with my Dad and Step-Mom, I don't really talk to my mom. I can't stand living where I am now, my Dad has major anger issues, where he freakes out and punches things, and throws stuff, and yells at people. He constantly puts me down and and calls me names like "Your a worthless B***h!" And "If your not helping me your hurting me so you might as well get the f**k out" and a whole lot worse. My Step-Mom treats me like I'm Cinderella, I'm nothing but a maid and slave in her eyes. My siblings call me need and treat me anyway they can, my brother recently took the back of my head and slammed me into a mirror, I need to get out.I tried to call DCF but my parents played it off and made me look like a liar. If I left today would I get in trouble.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. Another thing to keep in mind is to have evidence if you can record or take a picture of any abuse or marks they leave on you, you have a much bigger case for DCFS to take a look at. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp