Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm only 17 and I can't handle my parents anymore. What should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm only 17 and I can't handle my parents anymore. What should I do?

My parents and I argue a lot. They ruined my life, they got me this after school job that gave me PTSD, anxiety, and OCD. Luckily that job is over, but it's still affecting my life. They always say that they can't handle it anymore, but they are not the ones who have to handle it. They have threatened to send me away and I wish they would just send me some place else, like in the same district and everything so I can continue my life. I don't think I can handle it anymore. I have suicidal thoughts, but can never go through with it. I want to though. What should I do?

Hey there, Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's not fair that your parents made you work in an environment which was so detrimental to your health.

It can be really hard to live with mental health issues like anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-877-726-4727 or you can go to their site at samhsa.gov.

You mentioned that you have previously had thoughts of suicide. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X