What happens with school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens with school?

Let's say I run away for a month. My schools policy is that you can't miss more than 10 days without getting in trouble. You have 3 days to hand in some type of note, but because I've missed too many days with depression and anxiety, I have to hand in medical notes now. Would they get a judge and would my parents have to pay a fine because I ran away and missed school? Would it be better to finish this year and run away in the summer? (Even though I really don't want to wait any longer. If it means it'll be easier on my conscious then I suppose I could wait. )

Re: What happens with school?

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It takes a brave person to reach out for help. It sounds like you are thinking about running away but have concerns about your school. You want to know things like your attendance and legal consequences and things of that nature.
    We cannot answer your questions with absolute facts but we can give you a general idea of what can possibly happen. Truancy may be seen as neglect by the parent so that is something they may be faced with. If you were to run away your parents have a right to file a runaway report. That will help them from getting legal consequences from your truancy at school. However, if you were to try and return to school you may be pushed back a year because of all the school work you have missed.
    Your safety is our biggest concern. We want to be sure you are going to a safe place. We can help you find shelters in your area. If you are running to someone’s house your parents do have a right to press charges against them for harboring a run away. There is a website that can be useful to you to locate safe places; www.nationalsafeplaces.org.
    If you are needing more details or more information about your specific situation we would be happy to speak with you about it. We can be reached 24 hours daily at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or we can chat with you at 1800RUNAWAY.org. We do hope things get better for you.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X