Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My parents are forcing me to move out of the country.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It must be hard being away from your family and friends. Unfortunately because you are minor if you are under the age of 18 and you leave home without permission, you could be considered a runaway. This means that your parent or legal guardian could call the police, who might force you to return home. Running away is not a crime, however anyone who allows you to stay with them could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway.
    We are not legal experts. Laws are different from state to state, county to county, city to city. In some areas, police might not take a runaway report for youth who are close to turning 18, or they might take a report but not force a youth to return home. How a local police department responds to the situation can vary drastically. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are. Since you want to travel overseas the laws could be different. We are located in the US so you can contact the helpline in the UK to inquire about laws there. Maybe you can try and have a conversation with your parents about visiting the UK soon. If you want to continue this conversation and discuss some other options you can contact us at 1800-Runaway. Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 16 years and I've been in this country for over 4 years and I would like to come back to the uk and I've asked ma parents countless of times and there not allowing me go back and ma

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    my name is sean i’m originally from canada with a canadian passport and is 15 years old. recently my parents hate my girlfriend and don’t want me to be with her so what they did is that they told me that we will be going on vacation for a day in the philippines but little did i know they originally are going to keep me here to go to school and live. i don’t want to live here because i don’t want to be sad and hurt while i’m here. i want to come home to canada where my parents live and where i originally go to school and where i am suppose to live and it hurts so much that they did this to me. is there any way for someone to help me work it out so i can be happy again and let me go live in canada where i originally am from. contact me on my email at [email protected] i really don’t want to be here in the philippines. i don’t live here and i am not from here and i don’t have a passport here. i am 15 from canada where my family live and where i go to school and where i originally am from i’m here by myself in the philippines scared and worried and sad. please help me someone please i beg of you. so i can come back home where i originally live.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    We’re sorry you’re going through such a difficult situation. As you’re 16 years old, it’s actually illegal for your parents to force you to move out of the UK. They are legally responsible for you can could face criminal charges for child abandonment overseas.

MissingPeople.org.uk is a website specifically for children in the UK that can help you. You can also email [email protected] to ask about your situation. They are 24 hours and will respond within a few hours.

It’s awful that your mother is threatening to leave you alone in a foreign country all by yourself. We’re here for you if you’d like to talk. You can give us a call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. We’re here to listen and here to help. We wish you the best!

Cheers,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 16 years old and from the uk. I just finished my GCSEs and I am supposed to be going to college. However, I am on holiday and my mum told me that she's going to leave me here. What can I do while I'm in foreign country? She's telling me she'll find me something to do buh the course that I want to do is not available and I do not know the language well.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi and thanks for reaching out to NRS, you've taken a tremendous first step by opening up and asking for help.

Making a big move like that can have big challenges, and your feelings are absolutely valid. It's understandable that you feel overwhelmed by the enormous change and that you're missing your friends and the places and things that felt familiar. A big transition takes time to adjust to, and it's important that you feel you are receiving support during this transition. Leaning on people who you trust and who care for you is a great way to cope with the feelings you are experiencing. Family and friends are often a great resource for this purpose. Is it possible to have contact with your friends, such as talking on the phone, email, Skype, etc.? Getting support from them, talking about the new things you are experiencing, etc., may be a way for you to feel connected and support while you adjust to living in Germany. And of course, reaching out to support hotlines (like NRS) is a great way to receive support.

You are welcome to call or chat us at any time to talk about your feelings, our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY, and our website is 1800runaway.org. We'd be happy to chat more over the phone about the details of what you are experiencing and see how we can further be of support!

Stay strong,

NRS

Guest replied
    My parents are making me move to Germany. In fact, we arrived in Germany today. I feel powerless and alone. All my friends are going to the same schools next year but I’m alone here I’m Germany and I know I’ll probably fall out of touch with them. Our apartment is empty for another two weeks until our furniture arrives which just makes me more depressed.i feel incredibly overwhelmed with sadness over the distance between me and my country, family, friends, and home (I’m from the US). I don’t want to run away but I don’t want to stay either. Anyone have advice?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello, thanks for posting today! IT sounds like you are in a super difficult situation and are feeling very unsafe for many reasons, which, given what you have shared, is understandable.
    We are here to help in any way we can! You mentioned wanting to die and a lot of depression. Your safety and well-being is our first priority. If you are ever in immediate danger of hurting yourself here in the States, you can call 911 and they can send someone out to check on you and make sure you remain safe.
    Twloha.com has information, blog articles, resources, etc written all about self-harm from others who have experienced it. If you are ever in crisis and feel like you may hurt yourself, the national suicide prevention lifeline is also an option, 24/7 by phone or live chat online: 1-800-273-8255 suicidepreventionlifeline.org. We are also 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) and by chat through this website, so you can always reach out to us in crisis too.
    You also said you had been raped. That is so difficult and we are so sorry you went through that! RAINN (rape abuse incest national network) can provide more support with that, as well as information. They are 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, rainn.org by phone and live chat, as well as articles and commonly asked questions.

You said you have left home before and ended up sleeping in the streets. If you leave again, you can always call or chat us, as we have shelter resources and want to make sure you remain safe and off the streets. As far as your dad wanting you to move to Haiti, that sounds very complicated and hard to deal with. Perhaps speaking to your therapist or psychiatrist about this could be an option. You may even ask if they could do a family session with your parents. We also offer conference calling if you feel having a neutral third party be in on the conversation to make sure you are heard and so we can advocate for you and your needs. Reach out at 1-800-786-2929 and let us know you'd like to conference call if this interests you. Perhaps another family member or friend, or another adult whom know both you and your parents could help facilitate a conversation.

You also said you would be 18 next month. In most states, 18 is the legal age you can leave home. If you want information on moving out or finding a program where you can help get on your feet, reach out to us via phone or chat and we can provide you that info.

Thanks again for reaching out. That shows a lot of strength! We are here 24/7 so please reach out anytime!
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-22-2019, 08:04 PM.

Guest replied
    hi my name is Victoria, I’ve been to about 7 psychiatrists, therapy since 12, residentials for drugs, suciadal thoughts and a lot of depression. and it’s been hell for me. All I’m good at is being bad for some reason and I mess up everything I’m the reason for all the bad in my family and I hate myself for it and that makes me want to end it. I feel like I don’t belong anywhere I always felt like that. I’m now 17 about to be a senior and turning 18 in August. My dad wants me to move back to Haiti because he thinks I’m not ready to be in the states but he doesn’t understand that moving me back there will only be worse because I left there because I was bullied and rapped and I don’t want to live in a country where someone who did that to me is still in the streets... I mean who would? It isn’t a good idea and I’ve been trying to want to live but if this happens in afraid that I won’t have a choice to live. I don’t know what to do? I want to leave my house but last time I did I slept in the streets and it wasn’t the best feeling the cops found me on the floor shivering and I was sent to a home for a week. My parents yell at me for everything and threat me all the time I can’t stay here anymore please someone help before it’s too late.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like your in a tricky situation of having to go live in your parents' country. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support during this difficult time.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your guardian's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to them. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Heyy, my parents want to move to their home county which is mexico we are currently living in Washington,USA and my sister just turned 18 and lives with her boyfriend 19 years old would it be possible if I could stay with them and what are the legal requirements?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. We're so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Generally speaking, once you are 18 you are considered a legal adult and can live where you please. You mentioned that you were worried about being tricked into traveling overseas, this raises some concern for your safety and well-being. If you feel like you are at risk of being trafficked you can reach out to the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888 or going to humantraffickinghotline.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My mom recently passed away and my uncle is trying to trick me into traveling overseas by my abusive brothers and deadbeat dad that left when I was 4 I’m 18 now can I do anything to stop them

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Be safe, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X