Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate my mom but she won't let me leave

My mom and I have never really gotten along and now that I'm 16, I want to live with my grandma because it would be a better place for me to live. My mom drinks a lot and usually doesn't care what I have to say unless I'm trying to argue my point. Her boyfriend is a huge influence in how she acts since he is always drinking and smoking around the house. I want to move out with my grandma, she agrees it would benefit me since I have depression. I would finally live in a stable home for once, but she hates the idea of my leaving. I don't know what to do.

Re: I hate my mom but she won't let me leave

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your story on our online forum. We’re sorry to hear that things are not going well between you and your mom. You are very brave for trying to better your situation and figure out what your options are. You deserve to feel comfortable at home. It’s great that you are so close with your grandma and that she is so supportive of you.

With your mom being your legal guardian, it may be challenging to leave home without her permission. Maybe your grandma can help in some way by talking to your mom about the living arrangement. Have you considered maybe seeing if your mom will meet you half way? Maybe she would be more open to you staying with your grandmother on the weekends first.

In the meantime, are you getting any help for your depression, like seeing a counselor or something similar? If not, maybe there’s a school counselor who might be able to talk with you about your options. We can look up counseling resources for you if you decide to call in or chat with us.

It sounds like it’s extremely frustrating to have to deal with your mom’s and her boyfriend’s drug use. There’s a hotline for family members of people with addiction that might be able to provide you with additional support with regards to that. The hotline is called Families Anonymous: 1-800-736-9805. Just another resource that might be helpful.

We hope that this information is useful and we hope that we call us if you want to continue talking about these options and exploring your situation. Please know that we are here 24/7 and always willing to listen and help.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X