Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running away

If i run away because of verbal abuse can i be put in foster care. If im put in foster care instead of living with a relative can my foster family adopt me?

Re: running away

Hi there,

We are glad that you reached out to us with these questions. Thank you for sharing your story on the online forum. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home and are looking to see what your options would be.

Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Foster care families can petition for adoption, but there’s a lot of steps that would likely take place before that’s an option. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what Child Protective Services relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local Child Services decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes Child Services decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process.

There’s also a hotline that might be able to talk with you more about what happens after child services gets involved with an abuse case. They are called Child Help USA: 1-800-422-4453.

Do you feel like you have anyone who you can talk to about what you’re going through? Maybe a friend, a relative, or someone at school can be helpful to your situation at home. You can always give us a call if you want someone who will listen or to talk more about your options.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X