Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone get in legal trouble for housing me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone get in legal trouble for housing me?

I'm 16, and I live with verbally abusive (past physically) parents and two brothers. Nobody gets along, really. I understand it may sound like typical family things, but in the whole scheme of things, it isn't.
    Anyways, my question is if I run away, can the person housing me get arrested? I'd take a plane to get to where I need to be. My therapist agrees I shouldn't be in the house too much (I haven't talked to her about this. That's a whole other story) and nobody else is willing to take me in; no family member will because school is a huge priority for my whole family. It could end with me going to stay with a friend overseas (I've met them before. So have my parents.).
    I just want to make sure if I make this decision they wouldn't get in legal trouble.

Re: Can someone get in legal trouble for housing me?

Hello!
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It is great that you are reaching out that for the help that you may need. We’re sorry to hear about your situation. No one deserves to be treated that way. It sounds like it must be a lot to deal with. You are not alone. We are here to here to listen and help in any way that we can. If you are interested in filling an abuse report you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can help navigate through that process. We are not legal experts, but generally speaking being under the age of 18 does bring up some legal issues when leaving home without permission. Your parents/guardians have the right to file a runaway report that would require the police to bring you home. Individuals that let you stay at their house can be charged with harboring a runaway if pressing charges is what your parents/guardians want to do.

You mentioned that you have a therapist that suggests not being in the house too much. Are there other ways, like hanging out with friends or getting involved in sports, volunteering, or other extra-curricular activities that can occupy your time? Maybe this will provide some stress relief or take your mind off of the negative things going on in your life. It is great that you have a friend that is willing to help you. If and when you go overseas to your friend’s place, do you have some type of plan for when you get there? Will you continue with your education? Will you be required to pay for rent or contribute to bills? How will you provide for clothing, food, etc? How long do you plan on staying here? If things do not go well, do you have a plan b? This isn’t meant to discourage you or make you feel like this is a hopeless situation, but sometimes it can be very helpful to be prepared in advance.

If you have anymore questions, want to talk, or find yourself in a crisis, do not hesitate to call, email, or chat with us.
    Best Wishes,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I unfortunately don't have many options when it comes to activities to get out of the house. My parents are the "get out more often!" "I'm not driving you anywhere" kind of people. Depending on how it goes, I could attend college where I will be staying. (Different school system than the US) which means I could get a visa to stay for my education. I wouldn't stay more than two weeks to a month; unless I could attend college and continue my education. I plan on leaving a long note to my parents (leaving out where I'll be. I'm terrified they'll personally come and force me back. Physically.) explaining how I'll be safe and I need this, etc. Because I'm 16, I can board a plane and fly legally. I'm in the process of attaining a passport so I can do this. I've been thinking about this for a long time, through every emotion, and it always end with me realizing I need this, I need the air to breathe, and maybe it'll make my family realize just how badly home life affects me. I'm bringing money (I'll make it my death wish to pay my parents back) that I can transfer to the currency I need. I'll pay rent if it comes down to it, I'll pay for my own food, etc. I'll probably be doing this sometime in late March. If not, I'll do it over the summer. I just would like to leave as soon as possible, but still be 100% prepared.

Comment

Re: Can someone get in legal trouble for housing me?

Hi,
        Thanks for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you’re going through an incredibly difficult situation. It’s great that you’re being so prepared, and that it seems like you’ve given a lot of thought to how you could change your situation.
        We’re not legal experts, but we do know that as a minor, you need your parents’ permission to leave the country. It is also possible that the family you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway. That is not meant to discourage you from trying to better your situation.
        It is too bad that you don’t feel safe or supported in your home. If you want to talk more about how you’re feeling, we’re happy to talk. Please feel free to contact us at 1800Runaway. We’re here 24/7.
        Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X