20 and wants to run away but unsure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 and wants to run away but unsure

I'm 20 years old, the oldest daughter from Asian parents, I'm just treated like a kid. It's tough, all my life it feels like I'm locked in from the world. Typical Asian stuff. They told me I should be in school but I'm afraid of having to deal with all the pressure. I'm unsure on what I want to become. I know what I want I love art, but typical asian parents, "be a doctor", "be a lawyer." I hate having to deal with my mom always complaining to me and it just gives me stress. I want to run away and live with my friend for a few days, but I don't know if I just need a vacation away from my parents or never have contact with them.

Re: 20 and wants to run away but unsure

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like living at home has made you feel locked away. You brought up wanting to leave home because of the pressure at home, and uncertainty with whether you’d like a vacation or to move away. We will try our best to provide you with information to help you figure out what will be best for you.

You mentioned leaving because you felt that your parents give you a lot of stress because of what you want to do. We’re sorry to hear that you don’t feel supported in what you want to do, it sounds like it makes you feel that you should leave home. Perhaps speaking with your parents about how their expectations make you feel would be helpful? You mentioned some apprehension with whether you need a vacation or just to stay away from them. We can understand that leaving home is a big decision, and deciding on how long to stay away is equally important. Perhaps it would be helpful to think about how leaving for short term vs long term will be beneficial, and if there would be any consequences for cutting off contact with them. Something to consider if you’re planning on moving out of your home would be to make sure you have the means to take care of yourself (employment, stable housing) before you make the move.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate trying to handle pressure from your parents to choose one profession when you want something else. Leaving home is an important decision, and it sounds like you’re doing everything possible to make sure you make the decision that is best for you. If you have any questions, need resources, or feel you need to speak with someone about your situation, feel free to reach out to us. We can be reached by phone 24/7 at 1800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), as well as via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST.

Be Safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X