No announcement yet.

Emancipation worthy?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emancipation worthy?

    Ok so here we go. My home life is pretty bad in my opinion. My parents smoke weed and are abusive. They don't see it as abuse but I do. Physical and verbal. They recently told me that if it was up to them I should be dead. I don't have a job yet but I am searching and should have one very soon. I'm a junior in high school and am planning on graduating early. To top it all off my girlfriend my be pregnant and I'm terrified to tell my parents. I would honestly rather kill myself then tell them. I've already asked my girlfriends mom if she would alow me to move in and she said sure but I need to get a job to help out around the house and stuff. Please I need some help and advice

  • #2
    Re: Emancipation worthy?


    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like living at home has been pretty difficult with your parents smoking and being physically and verbally abusive. We’re so sorry to hear that you’re going through this, no one has the right to make you feel unsafe in your home. You’ve brought up your home situation, employment, a possible pregnancy, living somewhere else, and whether any of this might make emancipation a possibility. We’re not legal experts, but we will do our best to provide you with information that might assist you.

    Physical and verbal abuse is never ok. It sounds like your parents have been difficult to live with and you’ve contemplated moving out with your girlfriend’s mom. If you are comfortable, you always have the option of reporting the abuse to your local child protective services agency. If you do not feel comfortable making that report yourself, you can reach out to a trusted adult at school. Most adults that work in schools are mandated reporters, and they are required, by law, to report incidents of abuse. If you do not want to reach out to someone at school, you can reach us by phone, talk about your situation and decide if that is something you’d like to do. We are also mandated reporters, but we would require your personal information as well as the information for the person(s) that are abusing you. We know that this is a difficult situation to be put in, but hopefully this information will help.

    You also brought up emancipation, and the possibility that your girlfriend might be pregnant. Because laws vary from state to state, emancipation rules can vary depending on where you live. If you are interested in emancipation, feel free to give us a call so that we can provide you information specific to your area. It would be helpful for you to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state, and there are organizations like Legal Aid that can help you with that. We can help you find your local legal aid resource, just give us a call. You mentioned a possible pregnancy, which can be a pretty stressful situation. If you and your girlfriend need to find a healthcare provider, Planned Parenthood is a good resource to have. You can reach them by calling 1.800.230.7526. If you’d like help finding resources besides Planned Parenthood, feel free to give us a call and we can look into resources in your area.

    It sounds like you do not want your parents to know about the pregnancy and planned to move in with your girlfriend’s family. Keep in mind that if you are considered a minor in your state, your parents have the right to file a runaway report if you leave without their consent. Running away is not illegal, it’s considered a status offense (similar to getting a parking ticket). If you run away, and your parents report you as a runaway, the police may or may not look for you depending on where you live. If they do locate you, they would return you home unless there is a concern for your safety. We would like you to keep in mind that even though running away is not illegal, whomever you stay with can be charged with harboring a runaway, and the consequences can vary depending on where you live. If you’d like to know how your local police department handles these situations, you can reach out to your local police department’s non-emergency number. If you do not have that information, we can look it up for you, just give us a call or reach out via chat.

    We hope that the information we have provided will help you address your current situation. It sounds like your parents have made you feel physically and emotionally unsafe, and that is not ok. Although we are not legal experts, we can help you identify legal resources to answer your emancipation and possibly even runaway questions. Additionally, if you would like information on healthcare, or even if you need someone to talk to about everything that's been going on, feel free to reach out to us. We are available 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), and by chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you the best of luck.

    Stay Safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove