I'm 17 turning 18 in 5 months.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 turning 18 in 5 months.

I'm 17 and I'm turning 18 in 5 months, I was appointed a guardian by the court because of abandonment from my parents. I live far from my jobs, is there anything I can do to move back to the the town I go to school and work in or do I have to stay here for the next 5 months?

Re: I'm 17 turning 18 in 5 months.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear about your situation – it must be difficult dealing with the recent guardianship change and living far away from school and work.

Since your guardian is legally responsible for you for the next five months, they have the right to report you as a runaway if you leave home without permission. Running away is a status offense, which means that it is illegal because of your age; while the police cannot arrest you, they can return you to your guardian if they find you. As a side note, we are not legal experts, so you may want to consider talking to a case worker for more specific legal information.

Does your guardian have a plan for you regarding school? Are there any opportunities for work near you? If you decide to leave, do you have a safe place to stay? If not, we can give you referrals for youth shelters near you and we can help you come up with a plan. If you would like to discuss your situation further, we are always here to listen.

Whether you need resources or just want to talk to someone, we are here to support you in any way we can. Our lines are open 24/7 and we have a live chat service from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We wish you the best, and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need to!

Take Care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X