Friend in abusive home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend in abusive home

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted some advice. I have a friend, she's 16 years old, and lives in the United States. Maryland, to be exact. She's talked to me about how her parents neglect her, often leaving her at home for an entire day with barely any food, and how her mother is towards her. Her mother is very moody, she never shows affection and always pins the blame on my friend when things go wrong, and tells false stories about her to the neighbors. I really hate how her family treats her, and I wanted to know her options? Could she call Child Protection Services? Could she go to the police? Could she get a passport and come to the country where I reside? Thanks.

Re: Friend in abusive home

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us through our online forum. It sounds like your friend is going through a lot at home. It’s good that you care about her and are looking for ways to help her. She deserves to feel comfortable at home.

You raise some very good questions about filing an emotional abuse/neglect report against her mom. Please keep in mind she by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what Child Protective Services relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if CPS decides to open a case based on what she shares. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if she’s ready to do that, we are here to help through that process. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

As far as getting a passport and leaving the country. Being under 18, your friend would need her parents’ permission to leave the country. If she leaves home without permission, her parents could file a runaway report with the police. Although running away isn’t a crime, the police would be authorized to return her home.

If your friend feels unsafe at home, we can help her to find a shelter or talk about some of her options to stay safe. If you have more questions or want to discuss the situation in more detail, you or your friend can give us call or use our online chat.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My friends parents are starting to scare me, I slept over at her house and her brother came down crying because their parents started shouting at him because he said gay is ok, she's also told me about her mom calling her [edited for content] and worthless, and her parents might get divorced and her mom blames her, if they yell until they cry in front of people, what would they do if we weren't around

Comment

RE:

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like your friend is having a rough time at home. They are very lucky to have someone like you who is concerned and looking for help. No one deserves to be treated like that and we are here to listen or help in any way we can.

Has your friend heard of our hotline? They can call here at 1-800-Runaway at any time. If that doesn’t work and you wanted to reach out on their behalf, we can explore some options about what you can do to help.

All the best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X