No announcement yet.

Im 13 and I want to live somewhere else

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod4
    Reply: I am 13 years old

    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    It sounds like you might be in need of a safe place to stay. We are sorry that you are going through such a difficult time with your mother.
    Perhaps there are some relatives or friends you can reach out to for help.
    It is illegal for your mother to leave you with no safe place to go.
    If this were to happen you might consider talking with a teacher or school social worker about filing a child abuse report for neglect to child protective services.

    Reports can also be filed with Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 This is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Take care,

    Leave a comment:

  • Guest
    Guest replied
    I am 13 years old and my mom doesn’t want me anymore. I don’t know anywhere I could stay. I need help.

    Leave a comment:

  • ccsmod16
    Re: Im 13 and I want to live somewhere else

    Hi there:

    We certainly understand your concerns and really feel sorry that you are having such a struggle with your family. We really appreciate your reaching out to us – it takes courage to do so.

    And of course it sounds like you would like to find some other place to go and that is certainly a very normal response. One thing we do provide is information on local shelters so you could reach out to us and we could give you some suggestions. Also you could go a website ( to find a safe place to stay.

    We are not legal experts so cannot predict exactly what would happen if you were to run away, but what might happen is that your family would file a missing child report to the police. Then the police would have the responsibility of finding you and bringing you home.
    The other thing you have to keep in mind is that even if you were to stay with a friend and the parents of that friend were okay with you staying there, they are actually harboring a minor since you are 13 years old. So they could get into a bit of trouble for doing that and lettingyou stay there.

    But if you would like to talk about this in more detail, we really encourage you to reach out to us through a phone call to 1 800 Runaway (786-2929) or through a chat.

    Again, we are really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to do so and we understand that you are trying to work out your options. That is great. So again do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here to listen and to help.

    Wish you all the best.

    Leave a comment:

  • pfarm
    Guest started a topic Im 13 and I want to live somewhere else

    Im 13 and I want to live somewhere else

    I hate my entire family, no joke! I would rather be almost anywhere else. I am not sure if it could be called abuse but I definitely don't enjoy spending time with them. Is there anywhere I could go at least for a while...?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp