No announcement yet.

I need to leave, but I have barely any savings

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to leave, but I have barely any savings

    Hi. I’m 17 years old, preparing to start at college in the fall, and just found out that my parents won’t allow me to start college until the spring term. I am fortunate enough to be in a situation that they will help me to pay for college, and will allow me to take community college courses until I leave, but I cannot stay in their house for another year like they are going to make me. I have spent practically 17 years counting down the days until I’d be able to leave (they are incredibly strict, overprotective, and unable to parent together, and angry leaving me withpractically no self esteem and constant anxiety/depression). I know I am going to need to move out come Fall, but I work a low paying job and won’t be 18 until a month after I leave (so I can’t work full time). I need advice on how I can find the funds and get out.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are glad that you are seeking help in this difficult situation you are in. You nor your sister do not deserve to be treated this way. It takes a lot of courage in your situation to reach out for help.
    Aside from contact us, have you spoken to anyone else about this problem? Did you talk to your Dad and your step mom about your step dad? Did you inform them of what was happening at your house? It would be a good idea to start a conversation with your Dad first so he can help your sister and you. Please understand that you nor your sister will get in trouble if you go to your Dad regardless if your mother files a police report. If you do not feel comfortable speaking to your dad, you should consider speaking to your favorite teacher at school or your best friend. You can also contact the National Child abuse hotline at 1800-422-4453 and they can help you through this difficult situation.

    Thanks for reaching out to us! Your situation sounds frustrating and difficult. You are not alone in wanting to move out from your parents. A lot of teens want to be able to start college in the fall and live on their own. It makes sense that you feel strongly about it concerning your home situation. You mention that you have constant anxiety and depression. We take that seriously. You can reach out to the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741. They can better help you regarding mental health questions and offer resources.

    Since you are still a minor, your parent’s are still legally responsible for you. You cannot leave without their permission until you are 18. If you choose to leave before you are 18 they can report you as a runaway and whomever you are staying could possibly be charged as harboring a minor. Since it looks like you might have to stay, there is a service we offer that you might be interested in. We have something called a conference call. This is where we would essentially do a three way call with your parents. A liner would be on the line to make sure the call goes smoothly and is productive. We can touch on tough issues and be there for you along the way. You can reach out to us at 1800-786-2929. If you have any other questions or concerns you can also contact us via chat on our website at

    We’re here to listen, here to help.
    National Runaway Safeline

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif