X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Can I just call and cps take me away?

I was wondering if I can just call Cps and leave since I wish to but without a investigation. I don't want my parents to know anything about it because they are mentally abusive.
  • ccsmod10
    Super Moderator
    • May 2007

RE: Can i just call and cps take me away?

Thank you for getting in touch with National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with.
    We should mention that every state’s Child Protective Services may work differently. In general, these agencies typically are utilized for making abuse/neglect reports.We know that this can be really intimidating and really difficult for a lot of people. Here's a little bit of information in case that's an option that you're considering. If abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it to the proper authorities. Once it's been reported, they will either decide whether or not to take the case and investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. You do not have to do this alone. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. You can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can help you navigate through that process.

It seems as though you might be searching for different living options. We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of 18 can come with challenges when searching for shelters. Some shelters may at some point need to get parental consent for longer stays, however there are options for emergency housing. You can look up some of these options using:
    211.org
    nationalsafeplace.org
    homelessshelterdirectory.com.

Remember you are not alone. We are here to help and listen. Call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are open 24/7 and are confidential.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I really want cps to take me away because I used to live with my mom then she left to be with some guy who abused her then she came back yesterday now I really want to come back but I really want to come because I want to live with my grandparents who are taking care of my six years old brother by the way my sisters are with me because we have different dads I feel like me and my brother are separated I really want to live with him again plus once when I was living here my dads mom tried to hit me with a pot and she was waving it around and then put it back and yes my dad lives with his mom please help

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

It sounds like you’ve gone through some tough times, you deserve to live in a stable house where you feel loved and safe. It’s understandable that you want to be reunited with your brother and you should be able to. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that will be a good place to explore options as far as transferring custody. We also have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to live with your brother again. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

Could I get CPS to take me out of my house because my parents are mentally abusive and my mom told me I couldn’t use my chest binder anymore

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. That sounds incredibly hurtful and invalidating that your mom said you cannot wear your chest binder and that you've been going dealing with emotional abuse. You should be cherished and accepted for who you are and treated with respect, especially in your own home.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your parents. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
        We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.

Be safe,

NRS

Can child services take me away? I live with my parents and two other siblings but my dad abuses us. He doesn’t hit my mom but he does hit me and my siblings. Can I be taken away from my family and be places somewhere safe. My mom has lung cancer and my dad is the source of our money so is there any way I can be taken out if my family without gaveling my dad go to jail? I thought about running away and killing myself but I’m not brave enough.

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, it sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time right now. We are so sorry to hear you and your siblings are being abused at home, nobody deserves that. You do have the right to report your abuse to anyone who is a mandated reporter. This could be a teacher, counselor, coach or other trusted adult. A number of different things can happen if you report the abuse. It could be that an investigation is launched and it is possible your father will face charges, and child services remove you and your siblings from the home. It is also a risk that nothing will happen after you make the report. It is impossible to know what will happen because each case is so different.
        If you are worried about making the report, we can help you! We can take the report and make it for you, or we can be on the phone with you for support as you talk to the police. It is totally up to you. The Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) 1-800-799-7233 could also answer any questions you have about the process.
        You also mentioned killing yourself. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 is also here for you if you wanted to talk to them about what you are going through. If you are considering running away, please give us a call so we can help you make a safe plan for what to do next.
        Please remember that we are here 24/7 and are always here to support you any way we can.

Hi, um, for almost all of my life my mother has resorted to hitting me or threatening to do so whenever I mess up on something relatively minor, calls me stupid or an idiot as well or if I’m doing homework and she tries to help, but I don’t understand it. Because of this, I don’t ask my mom for help with anything relating to schoolwork at all, and have isolated myself from her. I have no real relationship with her, and I have to put up a farce whenever she wants to talk with me that makes it seem so. I have contemplated running away on multiple occasions, and have threatened to call Child Protective Services back in 2016, to which she replied, “Who do you think they will believe, an adult or a child?” I’m scared of my own mother, and always will be. I really need to get away from her, because she’s emotionally manipulative, has made all 13 years of my life miserable, and has pushed me to the brink of scratching my arm until blood has been drawn through just verbal abuse. Now, in my last year of middle school, I can’t be confident in anything I say, and it feels like nobody really cares about what I have to say because of how my mom treated me. She has bought me things I ask for, and is nice at times, but even then, I finally realize that even though she buys gifts, what she does is still not justified. She yells at me so much, and my instant reflex whenever anyone raises their hand at me is to shield my head, because she always hits me over the head. There’s countless times where she has scared me to death, and I can’t take it anymore. My father is here, but I’m sure that if he fought for custody, my mother would win, because she is more financially stable. I don’t want to live with her anymore. Is there any way I can leave her house and never come back?

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that life can be hard sometimes and also really draining. We want you to know that we are here to help in any way we can. Some things you mentioned from your story already spark red flags. If you have been hit or put down all the time remember you have the right to call the Police and let them know what is going on. Your voice matters and whatever you tell them they would have to listen and believe what you are saying. You do not deserve to feel unsafe at home. As far leaving your house there are a couple options that might help. One is that you really do reach out to CPS. If you were to file a report it would then mean that the agency would determine where to put you. They would most likely send you to the closest relative (perhaps your dad). This might be a way to switch guardianship from her since she would be investigated by CPS to make sure she is treating you right. Another option is finding resources like shelters, transitional housing programs or even food pantries. At NRs e can help find a lot of these resources in more specific detail so that you can know what is around you and how they can help. Some other more subtle questions are that you could speak with a school counselor or official about your situation and from there they would help walk you through the steps. Know that there are people that care about you and wish to help you through this situation. Another hotline you can call is Child Help which is the National Child Abuse Hotline (1800-422-4453) from there they could also help with next steps in life.
        Again we want to thank you for reaching out to us. We know that it took a lot for you to reach out and we want you to know we value your story and all that you’ve been through. We hope that you can find a solution to your current situation. If you do happen to have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online at (www.1800runaway.org ) on our chat option.
        Best Wishes-NRS

Can CPS take me away from my unsafe house. I just don't feel like I belong because my parents spend most of their time with my younger brothers than me. I get yelled at a lot for thing I didn't really do or cause, I get in trouble and take the blame for my brothers actions. I'm always verbally abused by my dad, I'm the only one that is getting this reaction while my brothers get a free pass because they are kids and I'm a teenager (16). My dad tries to be nice to me So, I'd like to leave my house tonight and have CPS to come get me without an investigation. I'd rather have CPS take me away with no questions ask and that everything is classified. I've wanting to leave my house and live with a family friend instead, I think that it'd be better to leave now than later. I'd like to take all my belongs meaning my phone, clothes, toiletries, and any other things I'd like to bring to keep me busy and my dog to help me less depressed and less stress. My friend is okay with me living with him till I'm ready to go back home and we both go to the same school as well.

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It sounds like you have some misconceptions about how Child Protective Services works. The goal of CPS is not to tear families apart or to just take children from their homes. CPS’s main concern is protecting children by any means necessary which is why CPS would never get involved with a family without conducting an investigation first. Once an agent assess a youth’s house for potential danger or neglect they then have the authority to decide the fate of that family. This is not to say that the end result is going to end in the youth being removed from the home. That is typically left for cases of extreme abuse or neglect. In other cases the case worker could call for the parents to undergo family counseling, anger management, parenting classes or something along those lines, where the children remain in the household but the family is monitored periodically.
        It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are treated as a second class citizen. it doesn’t seem fair the way your dad is nice to your siblings but not you. It could be a good idea to tell him how his behavior is affecting you. Perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your dad to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your dad not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
        Again thank you for reaching out. We hope that you found this information helpful. If you have any follow-up questions please feel free to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
        Be safe,
        NRS

Is it possible for CPS to take me away from my parents? They have emotional abused me. My brother is abusive (but hes more physical)
      My parents have gone mad on me because I came out as mtf.(my step dad punched a hole through my door because I locked it)
      Unfortunately I dont have the door anymore
      I've been told I'm driving the family to hell
      My parents claim to support me yet aren't allowing me to get anywhere to HRT and my mother is denying me therapy because she thinks I'm fine
      I need some help

Comment

• ccsmod11
        ccsmod11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You do not deserve to be hurt in any way.

If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care, NRS

I feel really depressed and have had suicidal thoughts and have used glass becuase my mother and I have not my and a few weeks ago we had an argument and I through a chair at her and then last night we had an argument that made me feel even worse and I have scars because she makes me feel bad and I've burnt myself cut and sliced I'm looking for a legal way to get out of this place and move in with my friend and her parent and let her parent sign papers to have full custody over me so my mom and dad can say ok

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now, remember you are not alone. You mentioned having suicidal thoughts and hurting yourself you can call The National Suicide Prevention Line at: 1800-273-8255. We want you to know that your life is valuable and there is a lot to live for. You can also consider talking to your school counselor or a professional therapist about how you are feeling, sometimes talking to an unbiased person can help us feel better. You can also try and do coping skills when you get into an argument such as taking deep breaths, going for a walk, listening to music, and calling someone you trust. One legal way to get out would be emancipation, if you call us we can give you legal aid resources in your state that can explain a little more about the emancipation process. We hope this information was helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to call us for support we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck, and remember to stay strong!
        NRS

What if I can't emancipated I don't have the grades and I'm getting bad grades can't provide for myself my mom called me juvenile delinquent and my little brother likes mentally and physically abuse me he loves to hit me over and over and I don't want to fight back I'm a pacifist he calls me names on the bus and whenever he's around friends my mom and dad won't sign a paper so my friends mom can have legal rights over me I've suicidal thoughts whenever I think see or even hear my parents name or see them or think about them. How can my friend’s mom get legal right over me?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-15-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
        Super Moderator
        • May 2007

Reply: What if I can't emancipated

Hi,
        Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything.
        We understand how difficult it must have been to speak about your feelings and what has been going on.
        You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.
        No one has the right to abuse you in any way.
        NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.

One option might be to consider talking with the people that are willing to take you in.
        Perhaps they can work out an agreement with your parent’s.
        If you are being abused you have the right to file an abuse report with Child protective services. To do so contact Child help USA. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody

Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
        Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Hi,
        Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything.
        We understand how difficult it must have been to speak about your feelings and what has been going on.
        You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.
        No one has the right to abuse you in any way.

NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
        One option might be to consider talking with the people that are willing to take you in.
        Perhaps they can work out an agreement with your parent’s.
        If you are being abused you have the right to file an abuse report with Child protective services. To do so contact Child help USA. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
        Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Take care,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi.....over the years cps has visited my home quite regularly.Yet, the only thing they did was ask my parents where they wanted us to go while they worked on things at home...it never really worked because they always were there with us,but they would constantly push me away like it was my fault we were put there.My mom has been letting her boyfriend physically,emotionally,and mentally abuse me over the past 12 years.Quite frankly,I’m over it.Im tired of being told to leave the home and my mom telling me I can’t because it would look bad on her.Im tired of lying to people and telling them I’m fine when I’m really not.I have just recently been hospitalized for suicidal thoughts,but my mom acts like everything is normal...they say that when he hits me it’s discipline.If nobody can help,I feel like my last resort is to run away.

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you so much for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a challenging situation and are dealing with more than any one person should have to deal with. While it might not feel this way, you’re extremely brave for reaching out.
            We’d love to try and help you as best as we can. First, you mentioned you were previously hospitalized for thoughts of suicide. It’s good to hear you were able to get help. If you are ever seriously thinking about hurting yourself again, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can reach them 24/7 by phone at 1-800-273-8255 or over the web at suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
            You mentioned that your mom’s boyfriend has been physically, emotionally and mentally abusing you over the course of the past 12 years, which is never okay. If it hasn’t been done already, filing an abuse report is one option for you to consider. An abuse report can be filed by calling your local non-emergency number. It sounds like CPS is already involved, but you could consider reaching out to them in order to discuss further what you’re experiencing at home. One other option that could be helpful is contacting the National Child Abuse Hotline. They are a confidential service and can provide additional options for you as well. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453 if you are interested.
            We are not legal experts but running away is what would be considered a “status offense” since you are legally a minor until the age of 18 in most states. A status offense is not a crime, it is something that you cannot do because of your age (on par with smoking a cigarette). If you do have your parents’ permission to leave, then you can legally stay with a friend and that is totally fine. Once you turn 18, you can leave home whenever you’d like, without any legal consequences.
            Finally, there are a couple of services at the National Runaway Safeline that we’d encourage you to utilize. First, we have a telephone hotline that you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We also have a chat service that is available through our website daily. We will be best able to assist you through one of these services. We would love to talk more specifically about your situation.
            Thank you again for contacting us and we look forward to hearing from you further. Take care of yourself.
            -NRS

My mother has been emotionally abusing me for as long as I can remember, and she was physically abusing until two Summers ago when I called CPS because she had cut open my leg from hitting it with a fly swatter. CPS believed her story, which was that I must have made the cut myself and blamed her, and then they didn't take any further action. I am now 16 years old, and I wish CPS would do something about her actions. I bought my car with my money, and I only drive it to school and work and back home, but she has taken the keys and won't give them back. Every single thing that I own, someone else in my family has bought for me, or I have bought for myself. She yelled at me for asking for a $2 bottle of body soap the other day. She took my phone away (she doesn't pay for that either), and I can not be around her for more than five minutes without her telling me something I've done wrong. She won't hit me anymore because she knows I'll call CPS, but she makes me do push-ups or run laps while she calls me fat and ugly instead. I have relatives that have offered to let me live with them, but my mother won't let me. My grandmother and my aunt have both offered to let me stay with them, and I would much rather be in that environment. I think if I have to stay with my mother for much longer, I will probably commit suicide so I don't have to be with her anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your mother's previous behavior was unacceptable and you deserve to be treated with respect. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

Some of what you've described sounds like neglect in addition to the emotional abuse that you mentioned. You have the right to report this. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

You said that you have thought about committing suicide if you had to continue living with your mother. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
            NRS

Can my own mom send me to cps? Im from texas. If so then if im under cps can i be emancipated or still travel alone?

Comment

• ccsmod11
            ccsmod11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline - we are here to listen and help as best as we can. While everyone's situation is different and there are no guarantees, it has not been our experience where a parent sending their child to cps is something that occurs often (if at all). It would certainly be scary if that is what your mom is telling you she is going to do. If it is, I'm sorry that you are being told something like that, that must not feel good to hear at all.

While we are not legal experts, we can share with you a general sense of how emancipation works. It is our understanding that some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents (or in the case you are talking about, CPS). It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court.

If you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court.

We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or would like to talk in further detail. We can explore your situation, discuss options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Best, NRS

I have abusive parents who attacked me and harm me mentally, my step dad has kicked and punched me on multiple occasions and my biological father was worse, he whipped me and beat me till I was bleeding. Now my parents are sick of me and are trying to send me to live overseas with my abusive father in a land where I don't know the language, I'm and American citizen too. I'm scared to call cps because if they don't take me when they come to investigate or if they call to say they're coming I'm going to be hurt worse. Please help I don't know what to do!

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. It sounds like you are unsure about getting others involved, but you have the right to feel safe no matter where you are. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.

-NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X