• Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I wanna leave my house bcuz I'm mentally physically and emotionally abused

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts but we might be able to assist you with locating legal aid services in your area for more specific information pertaining to your situation

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My parents are emotionally abusing me because I came out as ftm and they don’t believe me. Can I call CPS and live with my friend if their family adopts me? Also. My family moved from England to America a few years ago and we don’t have a green card yet. Will I be sent back to England if I call cps? Will I be able to move away from home because of emotional abuse?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have dealing with something very difficult at home with your parents, it’s obvious to outsiders and it’s recently escalated. Feeling like you can’t live like this anymore nor wait for it escalate into something dangerous is understandable. You are also the best judge on what you can tolerate or how likely this is to get much worse.

You are also asking about running away, so let’s share more information about that. We are not legal experts here at NRS, here are some legal “rules of thumb.” In most states in the U.S., you can not LEGALLY leave home and live somewhere else without your parent’s permission. You need to be 18 to have this legal right.

If your parents choose to do this, they may file a Runaway Report with the police. If the police find you, they will bring you back home. It is not illegal for you to run away -- it’s just a status offense. While “legally,” anyone who lets you stay with them could be charged with the crime harboring a runaway, this isn’t likely.

So think about if there’s anything you can do to make the conditions at home better or calmer. If not, then it sounds like running is an option to look more into. We hope this information above has been helpful for you to think through these next seps.

Thank you again for reaching out to us. If you’d like to discuss this anymore or chat more about what’s going on at home,, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Guest replied
    So I am 15. I have always been in fights with my parents for as long as I can remember but now they are calling me at school to threaten me! My principles and teachers have noticed and sat me down to talk about it. They have declared that I am abused but only told me if I ever feel unsafe I can leave and explain my side of the story if my family calls the cops. But the thing is I don't want to wait until it happens I want to leave now. Can I do that?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello, I live in a home with a parent who is mentally abusive and manipulative, I left my moms house to live with him because my mom ignored me and I didn't eat enough etc, I want to leave my dads house now but I really don't want to go back to my moms house, both of my parents are horrible and I don't know what my options are, what do I do, I have friends that say I could stay with them and their family until I have made decisions, but i'm still so lost

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help in any way we can.
    You said that you are being physically and mentally abused. No child deserves to be abused. In case you are interested in reporting your abuse, the number for the National Child Abuse Helpline, Child Help, is 1-800-422-4453. Their website is childhelp.org. If you want to call in but would like another line of support, you can call into us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we would be happy to call out with you. If you ever find yourself in immediate danger, please call 911.
    We are not legal experts, and court processes and judgments vary state to state and district to district, but our understanding is that emancipation is a somewhat long and expensive process. Since you are 17, it is possible that you might turn 18 before the process is complete. However, that may not be true for your jurisdiction, so if that is something that you are hoping to look further, you can certainly contact your local courthouse. If you want to talk through some more specific resources, feel free to call in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we have some state-by-state resources we are happy to talk through with you!
    In terms of getting a place and a new job, our understanding is that courts ask you to prove your ability to support yourself before granting emancipation. What might be beneficial for you are transitional living programs, which help people with housing and job skills to help people get on their feet during transitional periods. If you are interested in hearing more about transitional living programs in your area, we are happy to help you find some if you call in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
    If you would like to talk through these or any other options you may have, give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a 24/7, toll-free, completely confidential safeline. Here to listen, here to help.
    Best of luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 17 year old girl being physically and mentally abused by my mom. If i have proof and i go to court do u think i can get emancipated and could they help me get a place and a new job?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    If my mom is abusing drug and leaving me homless and i have a baby on the way and i want my uncle to take responsibility over me what do i do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Id like to leave my home, i just don't feel loved and stuff being here,it makes my life so incredibly hard.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    We are sorry to hear you are being abused by your mother. That's extraordinarily difficult and unfair. You deserve to feel loved and supported and it's such a shame your mom is mistreating you so badly. It sounds like you've already tried to heal the relationship with your mom, but so far without success. It sounds like you want out of the house, an considering what you've shared that's pretty understandable.

Ultimately, we can't tell you what to do but you certainly have the right to call CPS. If you'd like to file a report with CPS through us, you can do that. All you would do is call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can file a report for you. Now, what that would accomplish is something we cannot say. It's possible CPS would perform an investigation that could separate you from your mom. It's also possible they investigate and you aren't separated. It's not a guarantee. So, whether you file or not mostly depends on what you want to do, what feels right to you. We support you either way.

We also cannot say for sure how the police would handle your situation if you left home and your mom filed a runaway report. Generally speaking, the police do not actively try to track down runaway youth. They also might factor in your age -- being so close to turning 18 -- into their decision making as to how seriously to follow up any possible report your mother makes. So, while it's always a possibility that the police would take you to live with your mom again, it's by no means certain.

Hopefully, this information is helpful. We'd like to further help out if you are willing to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7, are confidential and non-judgmental. We have a large database of resources to assist; things like shelters, mental health agencies, legal aid, and the like. You can also chat with us online by clicking on the chat option on our website's main page: www.1800runaway.org.

Please know that you're not alone. We hope to hear from you soon.

Good luck,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 17 years old and have a very emotionally and mentally abusive mother. At times living with her almost seems unbearable. I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, which is a mental health issue that makes living life very difficult. It affects your anger, your mood, your relationships, your motivation, your self esteem and much more. I have been trying to get better but it’s hard to do so because my mom says stuff like “Are you gonna overdose again? Maybe you can do it right this time”. She is constantly calling me mentally Ill and that she will have me admitted to a state mental hospital as soon as I turn 18. She is always telling me that I am nothing to her. She went as far as saying “ you’re gonna be on the corner when you turn 18 maybe somebody will shoot you with herion haha”. I’m adopted and my real parents are herion addicts and hearing that come out of her mouth was a gut punch. I couldn’t figure out how somebody could say that to another human being. Almost felt like I didn’t have feelings. I have tried many times to mend me and my mothers relationship but I have come to terms that could never be possible. I turn 18 in October but from now until then is a bit of time, I don’t think I can last here until then, my mental health is dropping drastically. All that I’ve worked for is crushed and down the drain. I’ve thought about calling cps but I’m afraid nothing would be done about this considering my mother is extremely manipulative and would deny everything I say. I have a place to go but since I’m still a minor I need permission. She tells me to leave and she says that she doesn’t care if I do but if I dare to step one foot out the door the cops would be called in 2.5 seconds and she would tell them that I’m running away. My question is if I just get up and leave would the cops be obligated to bring me back even back into this abusive environment? I refuse to be treated like this. Should I call cps? Would it be worth it? I’m just confused.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X