No announcement yet.

Can I just call and cps take me away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 14. I really want to leave my step dad´s house. My mom has tried to bring me back to his house a lot of times, and now she has. I don´t like his house. In the past, he has called me the b word, told me to shut the f up, a mf, has slapped me once, he said I looked like a slut one time, and has said twice that he would me again. He said he slapped me because I snapped at him. Two days after he slapped me, I moved in with my grandma because my mom let me, and she knew that I did not want to be there any longer. Because I moved in with my grandma, my step dad kicked my mom out because I was not at his house. Me and my mom were gone since, i think, the beginning of May this year. Then, in August, she told me that she wanted to move back in with him because she has 6 kids, not 5, meaning that she wants all of her kids with her instead of just going to see them everyday. We had an apartment after about 3 weeks of staying at my grandmas house, which is what she got when he kicked her out. That was where I was because my mom would go to his house, and stay there at his house because she wanted to go back, but knowing that I hated it over there, she left me at the apartment, which was great for me. I am very responsible, and know how to take care of myself very well, but one day she told me that she wanted to have all of her 6 kids with her when she went back to his house. Recently, I was at my grandmas house and she tried to drag me into the car just to take me to his house. I kept telling her that my grandma is not my mom and that she wont be the one raising me. My grandma loves me being at her house, and has no problem with me being there. She knows how responsible I am, and that I can take care of myself while she is at work. My mom signed the lease off the apartment about 3 weeks ago because of her wanting to come back. She knows that I am perfectly fine at my grandmas. Every time she has brought me back to my step dads house, I have cried because I know that I don´t belong there. My 5 siblings don´t mind being there because that´s their dad and they like him, and they don´t feel the same way i do because that is their dad. Two years ago, I thought about killing myself twice because all of this would be over. This is not a healthy environment for me.I have told my mom that she should just get a place for me, her, and my siblings, but she just ignored me. I have cried countless times because I know that being over my step dads house has messed me up in so many ways. There is always yelling here at my step dads house. Ever since my mom has come back to him, she keeps telling me to shut up, and when I ask her why she is forcing me back into this, she just ignores me. My mom wants me to be with her, but it is not a good placed for me. The best place for me is my grandmas house. My grandma is capable of taking care of me, but does not have to do much. My grandma hates the fact that my mom brought me back to my step dads. He keeps saying that I can not go with my grandparents for a while, and they are not allowed to get me at all. I feel like I have depression as much as I went through. I also feel incredibly sad. All I feel like is that my mom cares about her own feelings. She only wants to keep me with her just to have her 6 kids with her. I want cps to take me to my grandmas house. I am so tired of dealing with this yelling and cussing! It has given me so many headaches, it is not okay. My whole family is concerned about me because they know the situation. They want me to stay at my grandmas too. They know it is better for me, but my mom wont let me. I feel like I can barely even talk to my mom anymore. All she does is cut me off. My grandma is someone who listens to me, and also cares what I have to say. My grandma is someone who I can talk to. My step dads house is not a place I should be, especially when I started having suicidal thoughts. The worst thing I did was put a knife to my chest 1-2 years ago saying I don´t want to be at his house, but I put it down, and walked away. I don´t want there to be another chance that I have these thoughts anymore and my grandmas house is best for me. My step dad hates dealing with cps because of something that happened before, which idk about, so I wouldn´t want them to come to the doorstep, just in case he got angry. Please help. I really need to get out of here. I know this is not safe.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing a bit of what is going on at home. We know it takes a lot of courage and bravery to reach out for help and to explain to others what is going on. You don’t deserve to be in a situation that makes you feel so depressed and unsafe when there are other potentially safe options for you instead. It seems like your mom has a lot on her mind and is weighing a lot of difficult choices and isn’t fully listening to your wants and needs like she should be. You deserve to have support from both your parents and especially your mom. It seems like you’re understandably frustrated when you aren’t listened to.
      You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your step-dad. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. They would also pretty much guaranteed send a CPS investigator out to speak with your step-dad and your mom to figure out the extent of the issues. But if they do end up deciding to place you with your grandma you won’t have to be around him to deal with his possible anger.
      That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
      It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

Can CPS remove me from my home if I ask. My grandma, who adopted me out of foster care 3 years ago, is mentally abusive. She is also physically abusive according to my therapist. CPS said they would provide resources when my therapist called them.
    She calls me stupid, fat, ugly, selfish, brain-dead, lazy, and compares me to my narcissist father. She takes away stuff like Harry Potter and Anime because they "Are demonic and send subliminal messages." She is manipulative, saying stuff like "I didn't have to adopt you, but I did because I love you." "I am starting to wonder why I took you in." and "You are the reason my 2 year marriage ended. If you hadn't yelled when your brother hit you, he wouldn't have hit your brother and gotten disapproved." She has let my brother hit me after that, too. She blames me for stuff I didn't do, and if I say I didn't, she threatens to "spank" me. I said I hadn't had too big of a piece of cake, and she let my older brother give me a black eye. Afterwards, she said that I deserved it. This is one of many occasions. I think she is causing me to have mental issues. I am 13 and live in California.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. Speaking up about abuse and other difficult situations at home can be very scary, but you have been very brave by telling your therapist. You do not deserve to be harmed or talked down to in any. Home is supposed to be somewhere you feel safe and cared for.

Child protective services can intervene to keep you safe. The goal of child protective services is usually to reunite you with your legal guardian when possible, so removing you from your grandma's custody might be used as an option if you are in danger. While you might not be removed from your grandma's custody right away, it could start a process with that outcome. As you mentioned child protective services and your therapist and provide you and your family with needed services to help the situation at home improve. You certainly have the option to make another report to child protective services. You can do this by speaking with your therapist or talking with an advocate at the National Child Abuse Hotline, childhelp.org.

Stay strong,
      NRS

can I text cps and have them let me stay with somebody else? my mom is mental and emotionally abusive and sometimes physically. she always says I'm on drugs when I'm not and she just makes fun of my mental health....I don't have my phone so I can't do anything cause she took it cause " its her phone and she can do what she wants " I don't want to live with her anymore.....I'm scared to come home everyday

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

hello I live in Amarillo Texas with me and my mom and my brother who is ten I do not want to live with as she abuses or tells us you like your dad and FYI my dad is in prison she says u will never be anything in life I tried to take my life in the past but I was never brave enough I want to live with my dad side of his family yes I still love my mom but I can't live with her right now every time she says something like that I keep getting depressed and more and we had cps investigate us sometimes but she forced us to say that we were fine with living with her as we hold a lot of money in my bank account from my dad but not allowed to open it until I am 18 so I think she only wants me there just for me so is there any way that cps can take me to my dad's side of his famil

Comment

hi thir im being abuse can cps take me the day i call

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

Stay strong,
        NRS

Out of curiosity if i called CPS and told them i did not want to be here anymore could they take me to my dads? i live with my mom, her boyfriend of 5 years and two other brothers. my older brother is very physical to my little brother he will pick him up by his shirt and through him across the room and my mom and her boyfriend do nothing about it besides telling him to stop. i have lived here for 3 years now and it was good in the start but now its just getting more and more angry around the house my moms boyfriend kicks her out once a month but they always end up getting back togetherr and im tired of it. im basically the maid of the house and noon respects me anyone will just swing my door open when im changing or doing something else. my dad hasnt been in my life and thats because of my moms boyfriend. ive tried to OD a bunch of times and just a few days ago i tried but everyone says its for attention but its really not im just at my breaking point and dont know what to do anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

It sounds like you're in a pretty frustrating living situation. If you called CPS they would have to start with an investigation as to what's going on and then they'd decide what the best course of action is, which could be possibly be taking you to be with your dad though there are no guarantees, especially since it sounds like he doesn't have any custody rights over you. But of course, if you are in an abuse or neglect situation making a report can be the first step toward getting into a better situation, whatever that may be. You can file through us or through www.childhelp.org, 1-800-422-4453.

We are pretty concerned when you talk about past suicide attempts. If you ever feel suicidal in the future please reach out for help. You can call us anytime or contact: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org (1-800-273-8255). Of course, if you are in immediate danger please dial 911.

Perhaps there are other options we can discuss that you haven't thought of already. If you call or chat with us we can brainstorm an action plan to see what positive steps you can take for yourself moving forward, perhaps including the possibility of living elsewhere. The best way we can help is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
        NRS

can you come to me and my brother

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. NRS is a safe and confidential space for young people to receive support and resources. NRS does not have the authority or ability to come and get you or your brother, but if your safety is a concern you can contact child protective services. If you would like to learn more about this, you can speak with an advocate at an organization called Child Help, www.childhelp.org.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Our email and bulletin services are different in that we can only respond twice, so we are best able to help by phone (1-800-786-2929) or through live chat at 1800runaway.org. We can explore all of your possible options together and brainstorm a plan to help you feel safer.

We look forward to hearing from you soon,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X