No announcement yet.

Can I just call and cps take me away?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I wanna leave my house bcuz I'm mentally physically and emotionally abused


    • ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

      Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your post it sounds like you have a question that a lot of our contacts have. We are sorry that you are going through at abuse at home. No one deserves to be treated that way at all. Just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect/abandonment) to child protective service in your state. You have rights too. One hotline that might be able to guide you through the process or reporting and answering any questions that you have is “Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline)” (800.422.4453).

      Only you know when you need to leave due to your home being unsafe. Unfortunately no one but you can make that decision for you, not even here. One thing that may be helpful for you is to possibly note when the fighting/yelling is happening or any triggers of the fighting/yelling (some examples would be like after your abuser comes from work or after dinner and/or right when you get home) and to try to find things that can keep yourself away from home during those times (after school programs, sports program, study group at a friend’s house, getting involved in your volunteering, etc). That way you are able to stay safe while you figure out what your next step might be.

      It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We might also be able to look in our database to see if there were any youth shelters or safe places that you might be able to go to if you need some local support.

      Best of luck and we hope that if you need more support that you reach out to us here.

  • #32
    im getting verbally abused by my mother and stepfather and my mother has to go through verbal and physical abuse since the time I was 9 I was just to scared to reach out but I want to be taken away from the home and not be in that type of environment anymore but I also wanna do it anonymously what do I do


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

      You mentioned suffering verbal abuse at home. We are so sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are ever in immediate danger or are feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. In these forms of child abuse reporting, your parent/legal guardian would not be told who filed the report if you so wish, but an investigation will be carried out if deemed necessary.

      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive, and you know your situation best.

      We hope to hear from you soon.

      Be safe,

  • #33
    Uh I dont know how to do this but ill parents are getting a divorces and I dont wanna be with either of them because of what they did, they made me suicidal mutable times, and I was wondering if CPS can take me away so I can live with my friend if they agree to take care of me, but I can still see my family just not everyday


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment

      Thank you for reaching out to NRS – it takes a lot of courage to share your story. We’re so sorry to hear about your parents’ divorce – that must be very difficult. You deserve to feel safe, comfortable, and loved, especially in your home. But we’re glad to hear that you have a friend to lean on for support.

      We’re also very sorry to hear that you’ve experienced thoughts of suicide. If you find yourself thinking about suicide again, please don’t hesitate to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-8255.

      Filing an abuse or neglect report with Child Protective Services is an option. If you call them and explain your situation, they will assign a social worker to conduct a full investigation, and the social worker will decide what’s in your best interest. CPS investigations can result in any number of things (i.e. family counseling, regular home visits by a social worker, parenting classes, you living with a relative/foster family/friend, etc.) – it all depends on what the social worker thinks is in your best interests,
      Child Help is an excellent organization – their website ( might be helpful to you. You can also call us at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY if you want to learn more about reporting, want help in filing a report, or just want to talk. We’re 24/7 and confidential. We’re here to listen, and we’re here to help. You’re not alone in this.

      Good luck and stay safe.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove