No announcement yet.

Can I just call and cps take me away?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If i call cps and they take me will i be allowed to bring my dog


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are worried about bringing your dog if CPS removes you from your home.

      Unfortunately, if you report the abuse to CPS and they investigate and find home too unsafe and remove you, they typically would not be able to bring your dog into any placement. It's possible that you could bring your dog if you are placed with an informal caregiver like a family member, however, foster homes do not typically take youth and their dogs.

      We hope this information is helpful. If abuse is your situation and you would like to explore your reporting options please do not hesitate to call or chat us: 1-800-RUNAWAY;



  • #17
    i really don’t want to live here, my older sisters beats me up whenever she feels like it and i told my parents and they don’t even care. they always blame me whenever she hits me or pulls my hair and i scream for help but they always put the blame on me. they would say something like “why were you even born””we found you in the trash” “where you get your stupidity from”. i started cutting myself years ago because i was depressed about my life, they forced me to work for them and i don’t get paid then they hurt me emotionally and physically i don’t know if i can do this anymore, i just want to be gone and disappear from this.


    • ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time. Abuse is never okay and should not be tolerated. You always have the right to report any type of abuse. You can make an abuse report by calling The Child Help Hotline at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making an abuse report can be scary if you would like our help please give us a call at any time. If you ever feel like you’re in immediate danger please call 911, and an officer will be able to help you.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide you with support. We wish you the best of luck in your situation!

  • #18
    If I'm not being abused or neglected can I still call CPS? And what will happen to my other siblings? What if my parent isn't being abusive while they are there? Can I call child services if I don't want to live with my family? Does it matter that my parent works all day everyday besides the weekend? If my parents have joint custody does my other parent take me? What if my other parent doesn't have the living conditions for me?


    • ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment

      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you are actively seeking out help for yourself with us. If you think you think or feel like you are being abused it’s important to know that it is never okay. It sounds like you are in a tough living situation in general and that is always a difficult place to be in.

      Unfortunately CPS focuses on cases of abuse or neglect so calling them otherwise might not be too helpful. If you are being abused and want to reach out to CPS or file an abuse report they might be able to help. We are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure how to navigate custody arrangements. We encourage you to reach out to your other parent if you feel comfortable to tell them how you have been feeling at home. Other options to consider are friends and family that you might be able to reach out to for support and possibly a place to stay if you are considering running away. If you have any more questions/concerns or just want to talk we are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

      Best of Luck,

  • #19
    so my parents (specifically my dad) are extremely mentally abusive and have yelled at me for the smallest things and acted like i just killed someone when i accidentally spilled something and its gotten so far as too making me want to self harm or kill myself my dad is the scariest person i know and on a couple of occasions has hit me but they didn't leave marks so he said it “didn't count” but even so every time my dad starts yelling at me im always scared that he's going to grab one of his knives and start going at it my mom has yelled at me for either eating too much or eating too little and no matter what its always the same and on top of that i had come out as ftm trans and she yelled at me for being confused called me an ‘it’ and said to grow the ******** up its gotten to the point where i dont even really consider them family anymore and no matter what they’ll never change and even if they did i'd still have the memories of the ******** they did to me they’ve been doing it for so long that since i was about 6 i’ve wished for someone to show up and take me away or to be able to run away and never come back or at least for my parents to split up cause even my mom is scared of my dad most of the time


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for posting tonight. We realize it takes a lot of strength and courage to reach out. It sounds like things are very scary and hurtful with your parents, especially your dad. You mentioned your dad has hit you and is very emotionally abusive. It also seems like sometimes your mom says damaging things to you too. You do not deserve to be hit or spoken to that way. You do always have the right to make an abuse report if you wanted to. Child Help (1-800-422-4453, has crisis counselors on staff 24/7 on the phone to provide more information at abuse and support you through it. They can also be a first step to reporting if you want to report. We know it can be very hard to make that call. If you decide you want to make an abuse report and would like some support, we can conference call with you to make the report. Call us anytime, 24/7, at 1-800-786-2929 and let us know you would like to conference call for an abuse report. We are available to talk confidentially too, so you can always call or chat online without providing your name or any info even if you do not want to report the abuse.

      You also mentioned sometimes wanting to hurt or kill yourself. This is not uncommon for many youth who are having such a hard time at home. Your safety is our first priority! Again, we are 24/7 by phone and live chat here on the website so feel free to reach out if you are having thoughts to harm yourself. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255, and National Alliance on Mental Health (Text NAMI to 741-741) are also 24/7 and can help with thoughts of self-harm or suicide. If you are in immediate danger of being hurt by your dad or of hurting yourself, you can always call 911 and have someone come check on you in person. Additionally, the Trevor Project can also offer support, specifically for LGBTQ folks: 1-866-488-7386,
      There is also the Trans Lifeline (1-877-565-8860, and LGBT NAtional Youth Talkline (1-888-843-4564,

      It certainly sounds like you have been through a lot and living with your parents feels unsafe and harmful. Child Help, mentioned above, may also be able to discuss getting custody transferred to safe adult. If you have any other family members, talking to them about what is going on and asking if you could stay there may be another option. If you do decide to runaway, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help problem solve, discuss options, and keep you safe.

      You noted that your mom is also often afraid of your dad. A helpful resource for she and you both may be the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233, They can help discuss with your mom an exit strategy for you and her if she wants to leave your dad and can provide some safe places to stay.

      Thank you again for reaching out. It is a had thing to do. We are here 24/7 to talk and support you so call or chat anytime for more options or to find a safe place near you. Best of luck!
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 08-02-2019, 12:24 AM.

  • #20
    I'm going to call cps tomorrow because my mom is seeing and hearing things that aren't there, and she said something really horrible to my only friends family, and I'm not allowed to go there anymore. We've need best friends for 7 years, I'm 15. I really scared to because we don't have a phone. I have to call from my neighbors house. I haven't spoken to her at all, and I live with my mom, my uncle who is a felon and my mental but also cool I guess bipolar grandmother.i spent most of the summer at my friend's house, and only my friend knew about my mom. Mom fliped when we were in the car with my friends mom.they are the ones who want me to call. They want to adopt me, I would love that but it would take a long time to do that. I think, and I'm not in school, but I need to get back in after the 5th, when I am gonna call. My family would probably hate me for calling, but we don't have a vehicle, the floor is falling through, and I can't socialize. There is a lot of arguing to, and I've been kicked out like once a year my whole life, except resently. I don't even have a functional room. I need to call my friend then cps, and I've only used a phone like once. I was about to hyperventilate texting my friend about this. Did I mention that I have been around drugs for the first half of my life. Mom and my uncle did rehab. I'm scared, and tired of life, cuz it hates me. Oof


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

      Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Everyone deserves to live somewhere where they are safe and where their needs are being met. Some of what you described sounds like neglect and you definitely have the right to report it. If you do want more information about filing an abuse report you can check out It's great to hear that you have friends that are supportive and that will help make the report for you since you don't have access to a phone. If you'd like, we can also make a report on your behalf. Since you don't have a phone you can always do this via our live chat option by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage.

      You mentioned that both your mom and your uncle had previously gone to rehab because of issues with drugs. It can be really hard to live with someone who struggles with addiction. We want you to know that you are not alone. If you’d like to talk to other young people who are dealing with friends or family members who have addiction issues you can check out Narateen by going to

      Be safe and best of luck,
      Last edited by ccsmod1; 08-04-2019, 03:30 AM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove