Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving home.

im 18 years old and recently moved with my grandma. she got sick of going out late and kicked me out. im back at home with my mom. i dont want to be with my mom because we had a very bad relationship. please help.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that things between you and your grandmother and mother have been pretty rocky and unstable.

Being 18, it might be a good idea to start thinking about how you can move out and live in an environment where you feel comfortable. A good place to start might be job training or vocational education. One resource that can help you with those things is the Job Corps. They are a national organization that helps people prepare and train for careers and independent living. They can be reached at https://www.jobcorps.gov/. If training/acquiring a job is not what you are struggling with, it might be a good idea to reach out to friends or acquaintances to see if there is anyone who is looking for a roommate with affordable rent for you.

If you would like to talk more specifically about what exactly you need help with, we’d be happy to go over what options you might have. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

On this topic of moving out, can you be 18 and move out EVEN if you are still in school??? If it matters I live in Indiana, I heard the laws change by state.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7
        Super Moderator
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. It was smart of you to reach out with this question.

We are not legal experts but we can answer your question generally. 18 years old is the majority age or age you become an adult in Indiana. Since you are 18 you are considered a legal adult and can make your own life decisions, and it does not matter if you are in school. So you are able to leave without finishing school.

Hope this information was helpful please call or chat us if you ever want to talk through your situation: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X