No announcement yet.

Im 17 and live in Kansas

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im 17 and live in Kansas

    I live in Kansas with my grandmother, my aunt actually has custody but my aunt and i dont get along. My grandmother and my aunt and her husband all go back and forth on whether they should send me back home to Oklahoma to live with my dad. I cannot live with my dad because he is verbally and physically abusive (he uses a belt to 'spank' me with because that is 'legal') my dad has been reported to DHS in Oklahoma but my dad got the people to push how he treats me under the rug. My family in Kansas put me down verbally, contradict their statements, and keep me from doing what im supposed to do, and get mad at me when i do things on my own. My aunt is a control freak and is very into her own work and doesnt care about other things. her and my grandmother both have laid hands on my half brother and even locked him outside all day, my dad has dropped me off on a highway and told me not to go home. they just are not good people. I want out so i can move on, and continue my education. I provide for myself already they just give me a place to sleep at night.

    I read online i could leave and they couldnt do anything but i need a place to stay.

  • #2
    Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time with your family. You absolutely deserve to feel loved, cared for, and supported. It must be hard to experience abuse by your aunt, grandmother, and father. It is also unfortunate and disappointing that DHS did not take action with your father’s abuse. That must have been hard. With all you are going through it is understandable that you feel like you want to leave. You mentioned that your aunt and grandmother have put hands on your half brother and locked him outside all day—that is also not okay and your half brother has the right to notify child protective services. A good resource for that would be Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.
    Depending on your age, you are not legally able to leave the home without a parent or legal guardian’s permission. It is not a crime but a status offense, meaning that it is just something you do not have the legal permission to do because of your age. If you are not a legal adult in your state and leave without your parent’s permission, there is the possibility that you will have to return home if authorities get involved. Depending on your age, there is a possibility that police may not respond in this way but it is a possibility and they would be abiding by the law if this was to occur. Since we are not legal providers, we only have general information. That being said, you may consider staying with friends or family. Another option could be a transitional living program or an emergency shelter. If you need help locating resources, feel free to give us a call.
    We hope that this information is of assistance to you. Please, feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting our website
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp