I want to be legally independent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to be legally independent

I want to know how to become emancipated. I'm 16. My parents have been telling me lately what they are "legally" required to provide for me and I honestly feel that they are not doing that at all. I want to take care of myself and I want to be away from them.
    I just don't know where to start with being able to legally sever any bindings I have with them. Can you help me?

re: I want to be legally independent

Hello,

You sound like you want to be independent and responsible for taking care of yourself outside of your parents. You mentioned that you feel like they aren't holding that up, and in your opinion they are unfit to take care of you. That sounds frustrating. We aren't legal experts, but there is a possibility of becoming emancipated if your state offers it. Not every state does. Emancipation is a process and takes a number of steps to it, so that may not happen right away. Usually a youth would have to prove that they are financially, mentally, and fundamentally independent separate from their parents. They usually have to have a job and a stable place to live. Then a judge would have to make that decision to grant emancipation. You may be able to find some general information online about emancipation if you have other questions. Otherwise you can reach out to us by chat or phone and we can take a look into it for you.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X