Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 16 and want to run away

So i just turned 16 and my family has been verbally and sometimes physically hurt me.They threaten to throw me out and compare me to horrible things and people.I have people to turn to but im afraid to be discover or get them in serious trouble. I know what to do and the supplies i need. Just that i still want my education and at least try to have a good life. But i know theres a extremely high chance of me being caught. Its winter as well so i know itll be hard.

Re: I'm 16 and want to run away

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. We are so sorry to hear about the mistreatment by your family, both verbal and physical. No one deserves to be threatened or compared to bad things. We are really glad that you have reached out to NRS. We are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

You mentioned that you have been mistreated both verbally and physically, no one deserves this type of mistreatment. One option you have is to contact your state child protection services. You can do that by calling Child Help USA at 1800-422-4453 and they will connect you to someone who can take an abuse report. Another option you have is to reach out to our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can call and make the report with you or for you.

It sounds like you have been thinking about this and started to plan in advance, but afraid about what might happen afterwards. Here are NRS we are not legal experts, but can speak in general terms what could possibly happen if you were to leave home without your parent’s permission. Generally, you are an adult when you turn 18. If you choose to leave home before then, without parental consent, then your parents have the option of filing a runaway report. A runaway report is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that if you are found you will be brought back to your parents with no criminal charges against you.

However, if you were to stay at a friend’s house, them or the adult of the house could possibly be charged with harboring a runaway, which is criminal offense. The severity of the offense varies from state to state. One option you have is to contact your local police department and ask them in general terms, without giving identifying information, what could happen to a youth in your situation. They may be able to give you a better idea. Another option is you can reach out to us on our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can make the call to the police on your behalf.

You state you want to continue to have an education if you were to leave. One thing to be aware of is that if you parents were to file a runway report, they may notify the school or the police might notify the school. If this is the case, when you go to class the office will be notified and may make a call to your parents to let them know of your whereabouts.

We are not here to tell you what to do, and it sounds like you have been giving this a lot of thought. Here are some other questions to think about in deciding what is best for you.
    -Do I have a place to stay?
    -What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
    - Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    -Do I have a safe, solid plan?
    -What is my plan B in case my first plan doesn’t work out?
    -If I was forced to return home, what does that look like?

We hoped this helped and are glad that you have reached out to the National Runaway Safeline. If you want to discuss your situation in more detail, please reach out to our hotline or chat with us online. We are here to listen and support you in what ways we can. We wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Yeah, thank you very much. I want to travel to a different town. Away from where my family is. So i have a better chance will it be safe to travel a distance on foot and on the streets?

Comment

Thank you for your response. It sounds like you feel you will better off traveling out of the town where you r family is from. You are asking some really great questions. We are unsure which path will result in a better chance, and it can depend on multiple factors. One possible factor is if your parents will request your runaway report to make on a state or nation level, as opposed to a local level. Because you are 16, it is possible that you may be picked up only if you have a run in with the police or have broken any laws which would require you to share personal information. Here are some question to think about:

- If I travel by foot, do I have people along the way that can help me if needed?
        - Do I know people that are willing to take the risk of harboring a runaway?
        - If I am living on the streets, what are some ways I can stay safe?
        - What can I do if I were to get in trouble?
        - What can I do to protect myself?
        - Do I trust someone to help me?

We hoped this helped. If you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail please don’t hesitate to give us a call on our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online. We look forward to your call or chat and wish you the best of luck.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Ok so what could i do to stay safe in the streets. I am to bleach my hair and cut it for an identity change but since its a small city in winter. Itll be harsh since the cold, im a female and criminals

Comment

Re: Re: Re: I'm 16 and want to run away

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out again. At this time we have provided you with several different things to think through as well as possible options for your situation. Unfortunately we are not able to talk further via our forum as we are limited to 3 responses. For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org daily.

Best,
            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X