Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about running away but need a few questions answered

I am considering running away from my family because they do not give me the independence I deserve and are very over-bearing. They recently forced me to end my relationship with my boyfriend because of race. I am 18 years old and I know that they can't call the cops or prevent me from leaving. My current semester at my university is paid for (dorm, courses, and meal plan) so I am set until May. I plan on getting a job to try and support myself for the rest of the time. I know that I will have to support myself financially after I leave, and I have a question about it. I have a bank account under my parents control, and they transfer money into it; I know that if I was a minor, the money would still be considered their money. Now that I am 18, is the money considered mine? Would it be called stealing if I withdrew all the money in my account before I left? If I can keep the money I know that I'll be able to save enough to continue my college education, and if it comes to it, I plan on transferring to a cheaper college. Right now, I am planning finances issues, but I know there are many other things involved. What other things will I need to plan/consider before executing my plan?

re: Thinking about running away but need a few questions answered

Hey there,

It seems you have thought and planned out your ideas for leaving home in depth. From what you shared you have some questions about whether or not your parents are still in control of your money now that you are 18. Those are good questions! Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and only your bank would be able to answer those for you. They have different requirements and rules that their customers need to follow. So you should contact your bank, and see if they can be of assistance. We are non directive here at NRS so we don't help youth to run away, and tell them what they need to do to leave. We can only offer options and possible consequences if you find yourself in need of information. We do hope that you are safe in whatever you decide to do.

For further support, you are welcome to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X