No announcement yet.

Child ran away to grandmas now she wants to call cps and get custody

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Child ran away to grandmas now she wants to call cps and get custody

    My twelve-year-old ran away and ended up going to her grandma, now her grandma is trying to get me to sign over my rights so that she can have custody of my daughter and when I told her I would give her permission to stay there but my mom would have to be responsible for her financially she is threatening to call CPS to try and still get custody. my daughter is still reported as a runaway so basically my mom is harboring her. I need advice on how to handle this situation in the best way possible considering my daughter does not want to come home and my mom does not want to let her come home and is trying to get custody.

  • #2
    Thank you for contacting NRS. We are not legal experts, but we may be able to provide some information and resources that could be helpful to you.
    Running away is not a crime. Since you have filed a runaway report, if your daughter is picked up, she will likely be returned to you. The police may not actively seek runaways. You may consider calling the non-emergency number of your local police department and they may be able to tell you how they typically handle runaway cases.
    You are correct that your mom could be charged with harboring a runaway. Again the police are a potential resource to determine what the consequences could be for your mom if she is found to be harboring your daughter.
    You could also consider contacting a lawyer do discuss your situation. If you do not have a lawyer, you could consider contacting legal aid. Legal aid resources can be found online and may be available without cost in qualifying cases.
    If you want to talk to others whose children have run away, you could consider contacting Team H.O.P.E. (Help Offering Parent’s Empowerment) at or 1-866-305-4673. Team HOPE is a hotline that allows parents or runaways to talk to other parents who have similar experiences.
    You can also contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or Although we are primarily a resource for youth in crisis, we will be happy to talk with you and discuss potential resources that mat be available to you.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp