I want to run away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away..

I'm 12 years old and I kind of have family problems I know they're not like the really bad kind where people beat there kids but I still feel really misunderstood and abused. I want to run away but I'm not sure where I could go I was hoping you could help me this is my story:
    My dad is a military vet and after returning from war he is now always really angry and mean abd I mean sometimes he's okay but I would never talk to him about anything like what I'm typing here. He doesn't hit me though sometimes he looks like he might and he'll sometimes hit the table or his desk. My mom isn't much better i think she has a brain problem she is tired 24 7 and is always complaining about one thing or another I found out behind her back that she has a secret ex husband Mabye that's why she is rally strict about what my brother and I do on the Internet. I have a brother who's 14 and he is treated a lot better than me but Mabye that's because he is very obedient. My mom is always mad at me about something I don't confide in her at all she would never listen to me she never does about anything so why would she listen about something like this. The closest people to me are my dog and my BFF's im nervous about running away because I'm afraid they might get hurt and I don't want to leave them. I'm not sure if these are legal grounds to run away on but I always feel horrible bc my parents always make me feel like less than I am and that I'm not important. I always feel misunderstood like my parents don't care about me which I'm pretty sure they don't I want to runaway and I've been thinking about it for years and but I don't have anywhere to go and the only people I feel safe going to I either haven't seen in years or are my best friends and they live to close to me and my parents. I can be packed to leave anytime but I don't know where to go I think I need help.

Re: I want to run away..

Hello-

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot at home. We are sorry that you feel misunderstood and unheard. It is understandable that you are considering to run away, especially when you feel like you can’t talk to your mom and dad about how you feel. We are very happy you reached out to us and we will help you out in any way we can

Before you make the decision to leave we wanted to let you know that if you are under the age of 18 and leave home without the permission of your parents, you would be considered a runaway. At this point your parents have the right to do whatever they can to bring you back home. This means they can file a runaway report with the police to report that you left, and the police could bring you back home. We are not legal experts but we do know that running away is just a status offense, which means that you cannot get into any legal trouble for running away.

If you still feel like you want to run away, we want to make sure you do so as safely as possible. This means setting a plan of where you will go, how you will get there, and how you will survive once you get there. If possible, it is a good idea to leave with a cell phone, this way if you run into any trouble you can call someone for help.

If you still have no place to go, maybe it could help reaching out to someone you trust and feel comfortable talking to. Since you feel you cant talk to your parents, a friend, aunt or uncle, or even a teacher or school counselor could be great people to reach out to for support. Getting a perspective from different people could provide you with different ways to deal with what is going on. We don't want you to be on the streets were it can get to be a little dangerous so a resource that you might be able to look into if you’re looking for a safe place to go, would be to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there is any safe places near you listed. They are usually places like designated school, fire stations, libraries, etc. So that is always an option if you feel like go to talk to someone in person and what has been going on.

You could also talk to us by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We would be happy to talk with you about how you are feeling and help you think of ways to deal with life at home. We are a 24/7 confidential hotline, which means what we talk about stays between us.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X