No announcement yet.

My parents no longer give me any privacy and don’t care about me feeling comfortable.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My parents no longer give me any privacy and don’t care about me feeling comfortable.

    When I say my parents don’t care about me being comfortable....they dont. My mother forced me to come out as no last year and just today alone they made me open a vibrator in front of them...then proceeded to yell at me about it, slander me, and belittle me all because of I said I didn’t feel comfortable. Now they won’t even let me close my bedroom door(mind you I have a fear of the dark and open doors in the dark it makes me paranoid) and I am more than disgusted and embarrassed. I’ve Been dealing with their closed mindedness for years and today is the final straw. I’m 19 and plan on leaving California without so much as mentioning it to them. I want to move out within 3-5 months, and I never want to see them again. I don’t want their disgusting attitudes and closed mindedness around my future children. Quite frankly I never want to see them again. My question is if any of you have any tips on moving out. I plan on taking a break from school for a bit so I can work full time.

  • #2
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp