Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to leave, but how?

So, on Friday night, something happened that changed my life. I'm usually a good girl, I obey the laws, do my homework, and live pretty much a boring life. I do my studies and everything. Well, I am 15 and thinking of running away from home. On that Friday night, I got involved with the police because my mom thought I was missing when I was out with some guy. Now, my mom found out everything about how I met this guy and who this guy was, and all she's ever told me was go to hell and told me I am a whore. My dad, when he found out (because he was out of town on Friday night), hadn't even spoken to me since. Not a single word. I tried to commit suicide using acetaminophen (I only swallowed a few pills before contacting the suicide hotline), but the hotline sent the ambulance and the police. Since my phone and my computer were taken away on Friday night, they didn't think it was a possibility that I could have done it, but my school gave everyone a laptop to take home for their studies, and my parents sort of forgot that I have it, so it's like my gateway to freedom, and it was the way I contacted the suicide hotline. My dad told the police that maybe the guy I was with was angry at what I had done and set me up with the suicide hotline. Then, that transitioned from me being suicidal to me being put on the spot, and how my dad was going to send me to another country to be a beggar, and how he was going to take me out of school, and how he was giving me a week before he was going to kick me out. No one talks to me ever since that night, and I forgot how a good conversation feels like. The only time my mother talks to me is to either yell at me or interrogate me. The police have my phone and will continue whatever investigation they did on Friday night about me and the guy, but after that, I'm planning to run away from Chicago to New York. I don't know about the money, but I'll figure it out somehow with the things I've saved up. I am really going to do it, but how? I can't drive, I can't ride the train by myself without someone waiting for me at the other end, What should I do? I have no way to contact anyone anymore because the school laptop restricts a lot of sites, I have no phone and no computer. I feel like I'm alone. No one likes me. Where do I go?

Re: I need to leave, but how?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to provide you support and help you during this time.

It sounds like you are really going through a tough time right now at home with your parents since Friday. It seems like you have really been isolated since everything happened Friday night and are really upset about how you have been treated. Unfortunately, we are not here to tell you how to run away. We are here to talk with you about your situation, help you develop a plan that is best fit for you and possibly connect you to resources that may best help you. Since it sounds like you are thinking about running away, here are a few questions to consider:
    • Do I have a place to stay?
    • What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
    • Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
    • What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
    • Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    • Do I have a safe, solid plan?
    • What is my plan b in case my first plan doesn’t work?

Also, we are not legal experts here but we can provide you with some general information about running away. If you choose to run away and youare under the age of 18, your parents have a legal right to file a runway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found by the police, there is a chance that you could be taken back home. If you are found staying with someone then they could possibly be charged with harboring a runaway.

We are so glad that you reached out and are seeking help. It really shows how strong you are and how much you want to better your situation and to figure out what to do best for you. You mentioned previously trying to commit suicide. We understand that you are dealing with a lot right now and are sad to hear that you have had to go through all of this. If you ever need anyone to talk to about these feelings you can always give us a call here we are 24/7 as well as you can reach out to the National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-TALK), like you did before.

Thanks again for reaching out to us here. We really would like to learn more about you and your situation to see how we can best help you. By giving us a call here we can possibly connect you to resources that can best help you like counseling services or shelters. We are here 24/7 and someone is here to talk with you. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My education is very important and I do want to finish high school, just not with my family. My mother has been abusive ever since and I am just scared. I really need to leave, and I have nowhere to go, but I found this runaway website where I can find someone to runaway with, and I'm just really desperate to find someone on that. I really want to leave, and have no idea where to go, because the only youth shelter in my town is for boys! I don't want to live in my house anymore, that's all.

Comment

Hey there,
        Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear about your family. No one deserves to be abused and it must be very difficult for you to be in this situation. It’s really awesome that you care about your education and we hope to help you figure out a way to do your best. If you ever want to learn more about your options as someone who has been abused, Childehelp is an organization that would be a really good resource for you. Their number is 1800-4-A-CHILD (1800-422-4453) or you can read about it at www.childhelp.org . Have you spoken to anyone else about this? Perhaps your school counselor or a local police officer might be able to provide you with some help/advice. You are always welcome to contact us at 1800 – RUNAWAY (1800- 786-2929) so we can learn more about your situation and try to best serve your unique needs. We are here 24/7 so don’t hesitate to give us a call. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X