Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t feel safe around my brother.

I have realized that when I am around my brother I do not feel safe. He scares me and he puts me in situations where I feel I’m in danger. I can’t talk to my parents about it. I don’t know what to do.

Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. You should not have to feel unsafe around family or be put in dangerous situations. We know you mentioned not being able to tell your parents. We know having a conversation about feeling unsafe around your brother can be scary or awkward. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we would call out to your parents and have a conference call. During the conference call we are there to mediate the conversation and to provide support and allow you to be heard. If that is not something you are interested in there are a few other options. You could talk to a trusted teacher or school counselor about what is going on and they may be able to provide you with some resources. If you feel your safety is in immediate danger you can always call the police and let them know what is going on. Your safety is our top concern and your safety should never be jeopardized. Another option could be, if you feel comfortable you could always talk to your brother about how you are feeling, he may not realize he is putting you in dangerous situations or that you feel unsafe.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more about what is going on please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Our number is 1800-RUNAWAY. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello i feel unfase too around my brother and he try to demotivate me around my family. And whenever i try to learn new think he always demotivate me ho dont want to me spend time with my friend and also he want to trap me home all day my parents also with him. And i feel to sucidel

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there. We are very sorry your brother is acting badly around you, even to the point where you are talking about suicide. Of course, your brother's actions and the current challenges you face are temporary, whereas suicide is permanent. You deserve to be treated well and you deserve to be safe.

From looking up your IP address it appears you are contacting us from another country. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. You can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

You may also find this link helpful in finding someone to talk to if you are feeling like harming yourself in any way: http://www.aasra.info/helpline.html

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

All the best,
        NRS

What happens if I don't feel safe around my sister or my parents will I be placed in a different home

Comment

• ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you feel unsafe and uncomfortable at home. We would like to talk more with you about this. Especially if someone is hurting you at home. If they are, we can help you file an abuse report with your state.
        They don't usually remove people unless they find evidence of severe physical abuse. Mostly, if they find evidence, they try to give your family the help they need to not hurt the children.
        You can reach out to us via live chat through this website, or call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24/7
        We truly hope to hear from you soon.
        Sincerely,
        NRS

My brother picked a fight and caused me to get a big cut on my leg, this is not the first time he has picked a fight and he always wins cause he's much bigger then me, I don't feel safe, should I call the cops? Will I be able to get away from him i

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. Even if this is only from your brother and not your parents. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household.
        It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). In this case it might include anger-management for your brother, or other ways to make sure his aggressive behavior is addressed if your parents are refusing to themselves.

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
        Take care,
        NRS

I don't fell safe around my brother he thretedes me and make me feel scared

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for reaching out to NRS!

It sounds like a tough situation, and it’s understandable that you feel frightened. Feeling safe is important, especially at home. Speaking with your parents/guardians or your school counselor could be helpful. If your parents are open to the idea, staying with extended family members or friends might be an option. It can give you some time away and space from the situation. ChildHelp (childhelp.org) is a potential resource too. They can provide additional information and connect you to local resources. If you feel like you are in danger, we encourage you to call 911.

You can reach out to us via our phone hotline or online chat service anytime. We are available 24/7! Stay safe and stay strong!

NRS
        1-800-RUNAWAY
        1800runaway.org

My brother bullies my mom. For example he calls her a h*e a b*tch and many more. He calls back to back whenever she leaves the house and he acts like they’re in a toxic relationship. My family has tried to talk to both yet nothing has changed. I stick up for my mom because she doesn’t and now he calls so many names but the main ones he calls me are a stupid h*e, a dumb b*tch, a piece of sh*it and a f*cking dumb h*e. He is always picking on me and I don’t allow it and we end up fighting physically. I’m truly not happy in my house and am scared for my own safety. Just before writing this he shoved me and I hit him and then he punched me in the mouth. I don’t know why to do and my parents are absolutely no help.

Comment

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us to explain what is going on at home. We recognize that it takes a lot of courage and strength to ask for help during these situations, and we are glad to help you to the best of our ability. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this at home and applaud you for recognizing what a toxic relationship looks like. It is kind of you to stick up for your mom, but you certainly do not deserve that type of abuse in return from your brother. It sounds like you have been trying to defend your mother, but nobody seems to be defending or helping you in the situation.

We would like to have the opportunity to talk with you more in-depth. Our bulletins act as a Q&A reference, more than a chat outlet. However, we do have an online chat system that you may find at the top of our website, www.1800runaway.org . You are also welcome to contact us via phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Please know that above all else, we empower you to prioritize your safety and if you find yourself or someone in your household in danger or physically violated, 911 is your best point of contact.

Thank you again for reaching out to us. We look forward to the opportunity to talk with you more about this.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I feel very unsafe around my brother to the point where I’m convinced he’ll try to kill/ hurt me in some way. We used to live in a household where our dad physically abused him a lot, causing him to be majorly sensitive and angry with small things. He always looks at me in a cold way and records me without my knowledge/ consent and it freaks me out. Sometimes, he threatens me, outright saying that he’ll stab me and makes hand gestures towards it. He likes talking about murder and violence as well as enjoying watching gore and disturbing movies. I feel like I should inform the police about him as I’m convinced he’ll do something bad in the future. He has knowledge in topics that aren’t normal and I’m extremely scared of what he might do.

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,

We are glad you reached out to us for help. Your situation with your brother sounds overwhelming. It is totally understandable that you are frightened and concerned about your safety.

From your post, it seems like your brother has some post-traumatic stress from the abuse. This is a serious issue for your brother and if he is not already getting help and support from a therapist, your family may want to consider getting him one.

It is tricky about calling the police. If you are feeling in danger or the situation is escalating to be more unsafe, you absolutely should call the police for help. However, if things are generally safe for you right now, you may want to talk with your Mom or another adult first before calling the police. You can talk with them about you feeling unsafe around your brother, your concerns over what he might do in the future and what kind of help your family can get for your brother.

We have resources that we could refer to your brother for him to get some help. We would need to get some more details to get the right resources. You, your Mom or your brother could reach out to us for a chat through our website or call our crisis hotline at (800) RUNAWAY. Both are available 24/7 and they both are completely confidential.

We hope to hear from you or someone in your family soon so we can talk more and figure out a plan to help you all.

Stay safe,
            NRS

My brother made me feel unsafe. My mum was not around, I went in his room and I was joking around with him like we normally do and all of a sudden he grabbed me and for a second I was scared he was gonna rape me. This went on for about one minute and I was begging him. I thought it was a joke but as it went on it didn't feel like it. I was so scared but he left me after a while. So I went to my room. After about 5 minutes he came to knock and he told me he didn't want us to interact in that manner again that he had a sexual thought towards me, I told him I understood but I played it off like it was no big deal, he said he needed to get a girlfriend. I thought it wasn't a big deal also until I got up to lock my door. I listened for the door also. I thought I was going to be able to sleep but I haven't been able to and so I went to my mum's room to sleep when she got back. I'm still not able to sleep at 1:30 am, I don't know why. I didn't tell my mum because she's so happy and blissful. The reason why I wrote this at first was to ask for advice on what to do but now I'm just ranting. You can still tell me what to do though. I feel unsafe.

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate and understand the courage it takes to reach out and let us know what is going on. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now and it is completely understandable to feel overwhelmed and unsure. You should never be put in a position where you are made to feel like that. It may be helpful for you to consider reaching out to us via chat or phone call so, we can learn a little bit more about your situation. For the time being, having a conversation with your mother and letting her know what is going on and how you feel may be helpful. If you feel comfortable, having a conversation with your brother to discuss boundaries may be beneficial as well. In order to prevent any feelings of lack of safety, having another person or family member in the room during the conversation is an option. Help in the form of therapy/counseling could potentially be helpful in navigating family issues as well as daily life struggles. You may want to consider speaking to a counselor at school or, reaching out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). We are a 24-hour service and are available to help anytime. Chatting with us directly would give us the ability to address your needs more specifically, and we hope to hear from you soon. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. Be safe!
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X