Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really want to leave home already, but I'm still 17.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want to leave home already, but I'm still 17.

I wish I was 18 already, I have a few months till I am, but I just want to leave. My mom threatened to kick me out recently because I told her how much I can't stand living at home after she was insulting me. She apologized later in the day, but she never means it. She makes me feel awful about myself every day and treats me like I'm insignificant. My friends don't even want me live here but where could I even go? I don't have any money or a job. I've been threatened to be hit by my parents several times over the past few years and they always play victim like they never do anything wrong. They make me feel awful about myself and I always dread being home. I was close to running away the other day, but the question was where could I even go. My friends are there for me but I don't want to be a burden or anything to them. I'm a senior in high school and I just want to leave home already. I'm constantly treated like I'm a nuisance and like I'm insignificant no matter what I do or accomplish and am honestly scared of my parents because of their temper. I'm under tight lock down and can never do anything and am constantly being treated horribly by them. I just want a way out.

re: I really want to leave home already, but I'm still 17.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a tough time with your family and you really want to be out on your own. It must be pretty frustrating to deal with your parents treating you like that emotionally and verbally. There’s a lot to consider with running away and it seems like you are considering a lot of different outcomes that come with it. There is a resource that you could try, and see if they would be helpful in offering ways to stay safe. It’s called Child Help USA, and their number is 1-800-422-4453.

We do want to let you know that while we want to help in any way we can, we are non-directive. So we won’t be able to tell you how to run away. In most states even if you are 17, there is a possibility that you could be sent back home if you do come in contact with the police. As your legal guardian, your mom would have a right to call the police and report you as a runaway. Also, it is possible that your boyfriend could be charged with harboring you. But, that usually is up to the police discretion whether or not they would pursue it. It’s good that you are starting to think through these things, and that you have some plans you have started. You may also want to consider what your backup plan would be, if those things don’t work out for you.

We hope we were able to offer some things for you to consider. If you need to, you can always contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Take care and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X